Where did everyone get their CO2 Setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garth7

Aquarium Advice Activist
If you have a CO2 tank, where did you get it? I am going to look into the cost of getting this again. I just dont know where I can get a CO2 tank and where I can find a place that I can get refills from.

Any ideas will greatly help my search.

thanks.
Doug

I called a couple of bars in my area and asked where they get their CO2. That's how I found my bottle.

set-up can be purchased from a lot of online vendors. The best deals are always on Ebay and Craigslist. But if you want a new set-up any of the big pet retailers will do. I personally bought both my 5# and 10# from aquariumplants.com. At the time I got it with free shipping. If you have to choose make sure they ship it unfilled. Also, another place to get the tank filled other than welding supply is fire extinguisher services. I have no idea what they use it for but they are more common than welding suppliers.

I bought my CO2 tank from aquariumplants.com because it was cheaper there than buying locally (even with paying shipping). Mine is 20lbs.

I got my regulator and other equipment from http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com.

I get my actual CO2 from different places that sell co2. The one I had been going to changed ownership so I've had to find somewhere else. Currently I'm using Airgas.

There are several welding shops in my area that will swap out co2 tanks and you could probably buy tanks from them.

I suggest calling the welding shops in your area first for prices and check them against tanks online (ebay, aquariumplants.com).

Wow, I've never made the jump into CO2 myself, but these people that sell nationwide are our customers. We sell industrial valves and materials to them. I bet I could get some stuff on the cheap from them.

FWIW, there is only one grade of CO2 that anyone buys. If any of these places tell you you need a special grade, they are full of it. Soda, Beer, Welding, and Fire Extinguishers all use the exact same grade of CO2.

Ok,

I did some calling around and finally found a place that fills the CO2 tanks. (I didnt wanna buy a tank and not have a place to fill it). They said that I would have to get a 10 year lease at $50 (for the entire 10 yrs) and then it would cost $11.13 to refill this every time. This is for a 20 # tank, Is this a good deal?

If that's all you have, then I don't see why you would even ask.

It costs me 11 dollars to fill my 10# every time. IMO, it doesn't sound like that bad of a deal.

Make sure you ask about how long it takes to fill it up. Mine gets filled in a matter of minutes, where as some places that I called take days to fill them.

$11 for 20lbs is a great deal. I paid $12 for 20lbs where I used to get mine filled. This past time, I got mine free (long story)....because the place was soooo slow.

Wanting to keep my spent dollars local, I go to a local welding supply company, and if they are out of exchange cylinders, I go to a local 'home-brew' store to have the CO2 refilled. The welding supply company is about 2 miles closer to me, so I usually go there first.

For a regulator, I can vouch for Rex Griggs' stuff. I have one, and it is much better than the cheapo model that I was using previously. The cheap one is now attached to a 20 oz paintball cylinder for emersed use. http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com ... worth the extra few dollars IMHO!

Back
Top Bottom