Where did this come from?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bdonaldson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi there,

I just spotted this guy in my tank and I have no idea where he came from? Has anyone ever found one of these in their tank?

Attachments

• IMG_0840.JPG
    IMG_0840.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited by a moderator:
I was trying to do some research for you but im having some troubles.
He almost looks like an Estuarine Mud Crab
IMG_7340.JPG

Or maybe a pom pom crab
IMG_7338.jpg

Can you get a picture of him facing the camera?

Did u collect any driftwood from the beach recently? They are pretty good at squeezing into holes ;)

Thanks alot for the research on this. The only thing I put in my tank recently were some plants. I do have a piece of driftwood in there but the driftwood is old and ive had it for a long time.

That's actually awesome lol! Surely crabs are salt water only though? I'd be pulling him out and releasing him at a near by beach

Unfortanetly I don't live near a beach. He seems to be doing fine I originally spotted him while he was hanging in the top corner of the tank half in the water and hg half out.

I was trying to do some research for you but im having some troubles.
He almost looks like an Estuarine Mud Crab
View attachment 297590

Or maybe a pom pom crab
View attachment 297591

Can you get a picture of him facing the camera?

I think he looks like the mud crab. I'll try to get some front facing pictures if I can. There aren't any freshwater crabs?

There are a few types of freshwater crabs but they all look so similar its hard to tell.

Sorry guys I feel so stupid. These are suppose to be fidler crabs. I remembered that I ordered them with my plants to take care of some black beard algae that I have in two of my tanks.

Sorry guys I feel so stupid. These are suppose to be fidler crabs. I remembered that I ordered them with my plants to take care of some black beard algae that I have in two of my tanks.

That's actually awesome! I want a crab!

There are some little turtle floating islands which are really nice. A chunk of cork will also help.

They will crawl out of a tiny hole anywhere there is a cord or tube and greet you by waving their sexy crab arm at you standing on top of the aquarium (or go for a carpet dive), so be careful about them escaping. They like some land time.

60074-albums11380-picture53776.jpg

This is the "lily" pad turtle climb. Do not have these guys now but they were so amusing. I duct tape doubled over heavy duty plastic wrap to close off all openings. They used to sit on top of the intake tube under the plastic wrap, I always kinda thought a tube set up like a hamster habitrail with a sandy beach on top the tank would be a fun addition for them!!! Crawl up the tubes from the tank to the sandy beach up top!
60074-albums11380-picture59484.jpg

That is really awesome Autumn. I will have to get something to put in there for him. Will they drown if they have no way to get out of the water?

They climb well. They are land/water dwellers.

Thai MicroCrabs are only known true FW Crabs. I have them (recent additions) but so small they could fit entirely on the top of a pencil eraser as an adult body and legs. lol! Too tiny to see!

They will even climb on floating plant leaves and stand on them. I do not think drown, but they can get stressed by not being able to climb out of water somewhere. Likely will be found hanging off of air tubes, intakes, heater cord... Or waving from the top of the aqaurium, no kidding!

That's so cool. I'm definitely going to do some more research on them. He climbed up my heater cord and was hanging on the side of the tank in the corner.

I understand they like some salt in the water. Have heard all across the board on how much is the right amount. So not too sure. I had just added a small amount, and fed them Hikari Crab Cuisine because of the formulation for healthy shells. Plus they eat nearly anything else.

Back
Top Bottom