Where do you buy your plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marie74

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do you buy them at petco/petsmart. small LFS? Online?

Starting up a big tank.. 125G, I'm going to need a lot of plants!

When planting a large tank IMO it's best to place a large order from somewhere like AquariumPlants.com or ExtraPlants.com You have to pay for shipping but you can everything you want in 1 order. Plus plants you order online IMO are much cheaper than buying them at retail stores.

People sell large bulk orders of plants on aquabid. That might be worth looking at.

Personally, I started my 55g out with a tiny amount of plants and just worked to grow them all out and splitting them whenever feasible.

From my experience places like petsmart and petco have smaller foreground and mid ground plants, almost always unhealthy and needing tlc. I just went by my small lfs right after a plant shipment and they had gorgeous healthy large background plants mostly. The lfs was like 75% cheaper, too. I guess it just varies for different lfs.

to be honest our local walmart beats petco-petsmart-and the lfs - in terms of healthy beautiful plants, though they have less selection. Big orders would probably be cheaper online, and usually it's hit or miss for petco, if they just got the plants in, you can get some good ones, but usually I have better luck at my petsmart. The plants are usually in better condition. Our lfs has some, but it's also hit and miss for selection and quality.

Local Club members and also The Planted Tank sales forum ( members only- free to join )

My club does plant swaps...we bring trimmings to meets and hand them out. Special or rare plants for sale are sold at a fraction of retail.

Back
Top Bottom