Where do you get your CO2 tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeeLee2013

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I ordered all of my equipment to build a CO2 system - regulator, solenoid, bubble counter, CO2 tubing, gauges, check valves, timer, etc.

I was thinking of a 5lb tank since I'm using it for a 36g. I'm planning to drill a hole into my HOB intakes and let the impeller be the reactor.

Brings me to: where is the best place to find a reusable 5lb tank in your experience?

Also, is my plan raising red flags to anyone more experienced?

Thanks in advance!

I.got a 5# off amazon..get it filled at a paintball.place

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Airgas is a good bet if you have one close. If not, search for local welding supply stores - they will all most likely have tank exchanges and it is usually cheaper than using a paintball supply place.

Another option is searching for local brewing stores. Making your own beer is becoming popular and along with it boutique stores to support it - and they almost all have CO2 filling/tanks.

Sweet! Thanks for the info everyone!!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

I get mine from what is basically a welder's supply store in the industrial area of my town. It is super easy. I take them an empty tank and they exchange it for a filled one. I bought the first one from them, now all I pay is a refill charge.

Coolio - definitely have some options then!!

As far as my materials list, am I on the right path?

- Aquatek Premium Regulator w/ Cool Touch Solenoid & Gauges
- Aquatek Brass Bubble Counter w/ check valve
- Aquatek CO2 tubing x 16ft
- Fluval CO2 indicator kit

I plan to drill a teeny hole into my HOB intake tube and let the impeller do the work.

Since I have 2 HOBs, should I do this for each intake, or just one?

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

This is the exact same setup I'm looking at for my 36 gallon for the future if the DIY thing gets old :cool: I really want the GLA regulator but really don't want to pay that price. The Aquatek is my second choice.

Not sure if you have a Sport's Authority nearby, but they'll refill co2 bottles. $4 here for anything over 24oz, but they said they'd do a 5 lb tank too. The husband gets his paintball canisters filled there.

Hey, let me know how all that works out for you. My husband is dying to try the paintball route after I told him about it, but that makes me nervous considering the aquarium is in our bedroom. :hide: I think this setup would be much safer.

Airgas (or other Welding supply stores) might be kinda pricey for the first tank. I got mine from a guy who was tired of brewing his own beer off Craigslist. I paid $35 for the tank and $25 for the "fill" (it's really just an exchange, so don't sweat if the tank is out of spec). Tell them you don't need food grade CO2, you can probably get the fill for cheaper.

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Back
Top Bottom