Where to buy plants???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I'm in the process of setting up the new tank but I have to start thinking about plants.

I am running about 3.5wpg and a CO2 system but still not sure what types of plants I can grow. I've been looking at http://www.plantgeek.net and I like the fact the plants are sorted by low, med/low, med, med/high, high, and very high. The problem is that they don't tell you how many wpg for each category. Can someone please fill me in on the types of plants I can grow? Does my tank qualify for high light plants?

Also where is the best place to buy plants?

Thanks for the input.

Jeff

Jeff you will be able to sucessfully to gro over 90 percent of plants. the 10 percent you won't will just be because they are a hard plant like eustralis stelletta or macronda

Well I've done a little more research and picked some plants I liked...

What do you guys think:
Alternanthera reineckii
Anubias barteri var nana
Anubias barteri var. barteri
Anubias coffeafolia
Anubias congensis
Aponogeton boivinianus
Barclaya longifolia 'Red form'
Ceratopteris thalictroides
Crinum thaianum
Cryptocoryne parva
Echinodorus bleheri
Echinodorus latifolius
Eleocharis acicularis
Glossostigma elatinoides
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Hygrophila difformis
Hygrophila polysperma
Hygrophila salicifolia 'Long form'
Lilaeopsis novaezelandiae
Limnophila aquatica/Ambulia
Ludwigia arcuata
Ludwigia pantanale
Ludwigia repens
Micranthemum micranthemoides 'Baby Tears'
Riccia fluitans
Rotala indica
Rotala macrandra 'Broad Leaf'
Rotala wallichii
Sagitaria dwarf
Sagittaria subulata
Tonina species
Vallisneria gigantea 'Jungle'
Vesicularia dubyana 'Java Moss'

Can you think of anything cool I might be missing?
Any of these just trouble?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Jeff

The only problem i see is some are HIGH light plants while others are really low light plants.
It would be VERY hard to have all of them in the same tank

Now where is a good place to figure out which ones are high light and which ones are low lights?

With 3.5wpg for a 90gal Tall (36x18x24) is my tank a high light tank?

Heteranthera zosterifolia
Tonina species
Rotala macrandra 'Broad Leaf'
Rotala wallichii
Riccia fluitans
Glossostigma elatinoides

High
Anubias coffeafolia
Anubias congensis
Aponogeton boivinianus
Barclaya longifolia 'Red form'
Ceratopteris thalictroides
Crinum thaianum
__________________-

The rest you can kinda make work in most mid to high light tanks

low to mid
Vallisneria gigantea 'Jungle'
Vesicularia dubyana 'Java Moss'
Rotala wallichii
Sagitaria dwarf
Sagittaria subulata

MrChameleon...

With proper planning you can put any of the plants on your list in your aquarium. Plants like Anubias and Cryptocoryne that will do well with less light can be placed beneath some of the more light-demanding plants. This way the high-light plants will get what they need and provide a little bit of shade for the lower-light varieties. Just something to consider.

I got my plants from Az Aquatic Gardens down in Tucson, AZ. Service was great. Only real complaint I have is their plants were rather small. The large swords they sent, I would consider small.

They also have package deals. The package deals can save you some money, then add a couple more plants you like to complete the tank.
Also consider having some shrimp thrown in for the ride, seeing how your already paying the expensive shipping charges. I planted a 37g heavily and still saves a considerable amount of money, versus buying the plants locally for 5 bucks a piece (OUCH)!

One thing you need to keep in mind when mail ordering plants or fish, is to read the shipping instructions/policies very carefully. I know AZ Aquatic stops taking orders, Mon night @ 7PM. All orders are filled and shipped Thurs and Fri. Alot of plant shops due this, so it's important to research them good.

Might want to try and order from the same climate and region as you live in as well. If you live in Maine were the temps are still freezing (especially in the belly of a plane at 37,000 ft) you really do'nt want to order plants or fish from Phoenix AZ, were the temps are already hot and clear across the country. Most plant stores insulate their packages, but thats still a lot of stress. Not as big a deal if it's a plant only order, but shrimp or fish you might want to consider this.

Good luck, sounds like your tank is going to look really nice once it's complete.

There are a ton of websites to by from. Hmmm click below there may be a link there.
Following a mapreally is the easy way out. I suggest you try and see what works for you

Back
Top Bottom