where to find co2 system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a complete kit from DR Foster / Smith:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9933

Look through the parts list, that will tell you what is needed to set up a complete CO2 system.

I would suggest getting the CO2 tank from a local welding shop (or even Home Depot - they just recently started stocking CO2 tanks at our local one). The tanks are heavy & will cost you an arm & a leg to ship.

If you want to do manual control, you can omit the pH controler & solenoid valve (you would substitude a needle valve + regulator). That should save a 100 bucks or so. Also, the DIY forum has instructions on making your own reaction chamber & such to save even more.

CO2 tanks are a little overengineered, which is a really good idea considering a full tank has over 1000psi on the area or gas floating on top of the liquid CO2.

I have stored them over a summer in my garage here in Memphis and I know that baby reaches 115 or better on a hot summer day in the upper 90s.

When I look at the parts in a normal CO2 setup as a whole, the tubing looks like the most heat susceptible part of the deal though. I would see if one of the places which sell CO2 specific tubing like http://aquatic-store.com/index.html?target=dept_31.html&lang=en-us
can tell you the working temp. range it can handle.

The link provided has the parts necessary to build a CO2 system for a single or multi-tank setup as well as tubing.

I know I need a tank but is this all I need?
Milwaukee CO2 Regulator with needle valve, solenoid valve, and bubble counter
Sale Was $ 109.90 Is $ 83.99
CO2-Proof Tubing by the 24 FT CO2-Proof Tubing by the 24 FT + $22.00
CO2 Regulator with needle valve, solenoid valve, and bubble counter. Dual gage regulator displays output pressure and bottle pressure. Standard American CO2 bottle connection.
DESCRIPTION:
The Milwaukee MA957 is a complete and high quality solution for automatically injecting CO2 gas into your aqautic system.
Weight: 12.00

Looks like you have everything else needed for a basic setup to me. Might want a good check valve too though as backflow will ruin your solenoid and regulator.

That regulator is actually more than you need but should do the trick. In addition to it and the cylindar you'll need a method of diffusing the CO2.

will if I am over shooting it what would I get without over shooting it? I was thinking of diy diffusing system, which part is more than what I need?

is this the one I need?

You can use this high pressure regulator on any Co2 Tank with a CGA-320 valve. Co2 tanks have a male thread (CGA-320), these regulators have a female thread. Double Gauge Regulators Measure PSI, as well as the Volume of Co2 in the Cylinder. They are good for indicating how much Co2 is left in the cylinder and when you should have it refilled. The handle on the front is used to adjust the output pressure.
This high pressure regulator allows for an adjusted pressure from 10 to 130 PSI. This regulator can be used as a primary regulator for mixed gas. It can be used with a gas blender application.

Mixed Gas Primary Co2 Regulator
Output Pressure Gauge: 10-130 PSI
Tank Pressure Gauge: 0-2000 PSI
Performance: 1 Pressure / 1 Product
3/8" O.D. Outlet Barb with Shut-off
Primary High Pressure Double Gauge Mixed Gas Regulator
Price: $38.95

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulator/double/742HP.shtml

You can use that one but you will need to replace the 3/8" O.D. Outlet Barb with Shut-off with a needle valve with 3/8" in and 1/8" hose barb out or use reducer couplings etc. to reach the 1/8" hose barb out via needle vale.

As far as the regulator goes, all that is absolutely necessary is the regulator and a needle valve to dial down flow. The bubble counter is nice to have but not 100% necessary. I'd still recommend at least DIY one (which you can do for just a couple of dollars), even if you don't get a fancy one. The selonoid also isn't necessary, but allows you to use the regulator with either a timer to turn it off at night or a pH controller to turn it off and on as necessary to maintain a specific CO2 level.

As Hoovercat stated the second regulator will work if paired with a needle valve. Go for a Clippard as they are supposed to be the best allowing for fine adjustments and holding steady flow levels.

ok lets see if you guys can get me the right one, please click on the link above and tell me exactly what tubing, regulator and valve I need since I do not have a freakin Idea of all this. please thanks.

yes I've seen this but I read that co2 tank needs to be able to put out a curtain psi and the regulator needs to hangle a curtain type of psi output also and from what I have seen there is different regulators that handle outflow of min 10psi to max 60psi, min 0 psi to max 10 psi etc. which one, I called a couple of shops and they said they have tanks for 85bucks and regulators for 80bucks and one told me it comes with an adjustable valve but I dont know if this is what so called a needle valve.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/index.shtml

I found the tank, regulators but dont know exactly which one, I cant find the needle valve on this site and or tubing but this site seems good and not expensive to perchase from.

A needle valve allows for very fine adjustments, (It's like a fine adjustment for a tap).

For the regulator, having the solenoid and bubble counter could be a good thing (upgradability, what if you decide you want a controller? or to put it on a timer? Perhaps even shutting it off during water changes?.. it's an easy way to turn it off)..

For pressure, I run mine @ 30PSI.

For upper limits on pressure (tank pressure). Co2 tanks are used for paintball, they blow a 1500lb burst disc if left in the sunlight, otherwise it's very rare for one to blow a disc (the burst disc is a failsafe to prevent the tank from rupturing, like a "overpressure release", but it dumps the tank.) so typical weather is OK, direct sunlight = extremely high chance of blowing a disc.

In either case, the reg in the first link is the one a lot of people have.. with no real problems. (other then forgetting to back the knob out before applying the pressure)

thanks when you mention first link do u mean the dr foster and smith one? first of the post?

Apologies, I thought the first link was to the Milwaukee 957 regulator kit.. This is a relatively low cost regulator that comes with pretty much everything you need (some places even give out free tubing with it).

Also, @ almost 1$ / foot you could always go with the silicon tubing (green or blue) and save a couple dollars.

I suspect that what they mean by an adjustable valve, is just that the regulator allows you to adjust the output so that you can have 10psi, 30psi, etc where as a fixed output would only allow you to have one set output perhaps 30psi. The needle valve lets you dial down the pressure to just bubbles per minute.

In the article that I linked the picture of the basic regulator appears to be of the classic regulator at Beverage Factory (although the one you linked on that site to should work too), while the second picture would be more like the regulator you linked to at DrsFosterSmith. The article also has a link to the Clippard site which is where you could buy the needle valve and adaptor from if you're going to build your own.

Back
Top Bottom