Where to get pressurised CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiffi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, my DIY set up s#@#. It doesn't work right with Prime, different recepies, has gas leaks etc :evil: .

I'm thinking about a CHEAP pressurised system right now. I've heard something about buying at welding suppliers etc.

1) Where did you get your CO2 system from?
2) How much did you pay for it?
3) What would you consider necessary equipment?

Tanks, guages, and valves (and fills) are available from welding supply places or medical gas places....diffusots and bubble-counters are probably cheapest online (check eBay, too). Expect to spend about $100-$175, but it is well worth it, and less expensive in the long run.

I got a Milwaukee regulator with a needle valve, solenoid an bubble counter at aquariumplants.com for an incredibly low price almost a year ago - don't know how their prices are now but check them out.

My tank and fills are done at the local medical gas shop, where they have several customers who are using CO2 for aquariums, so they do not look at you like you are crazy. :wink:

I am with Toirtis - once you go pressurized your life will get so much easier!

two options: if you are handy, or know someone who is, you can buy a simple beveridge grade CO2 regulator, and a clippard needle valve (sorry I don't know the exact clippard model #) and for about $45 have a usable regulator.

Or if you're handy-less like me, get a Milwaukee for $70, which has the needle valve, the handy bubble counter, and the solenoid valve.

Plan for about $100 for a 5lb cylinder and the initial fill. If it's a big tank (75+ gallons) see how much more a 10lb cylinder is, as the refills aren't much more...it can be more economic and convenient on the refills. Ask about cylinder leasing too, it may be a lot cheaper and simpler than 'owning' a cylinder. (I lease mine, so I just exchange for a full one, no waiting for a refill...no paying for hydrostat tests)

I get mine refilled at a local welding shop. It's a five pound cylinder that I put an initial $60 deposit on and then simply return and pay $10 to get it refilled. It only lasts about two months on my 125G and 30G tanks so I'm planning on getting a ten pound cylinder at the next exchange.

I've found a Milwaukee set at www.aquabotanic.com for 73.99 with regulator, needle valve, solenoid, bubble counter. Sounds good, but can I put the solenoid just into a timer and not have it run at night time or would that change my pH to much?

And $60 for just renting a tank is quite a bit, has anybody found that to be cheaper?

@Toirtis: Are in your $100-175 all the things included that you have listed?

I bought a used cyl. for $25, got it hydroed and filled for $30, had a customer that gave me a beverage reg. and plumbed it into 2 tanks for $20 in plumbing parts. The hardware store needle valves are crap, tho. If you come up with that Clippard valve #, Malkore, please let me know. The hydro/fill was done by a local fire extinguisher service company.

Tiffi said:
@Toirtis: Are in your $100-175 all the things included that you have listed?

Yes...including tank, solenoid, diffusor, etc....but that will depend on the size of tank you get, and whether you buy all new or some stuff used/on sale.

I've been watching ebay, and they have a number of dual gage regulators used, but all the milwaukee/jbj regulators are new and pricy. Here's what I'm looking at:

Initially:
milwaukee regulator/counter/solenoid/needle: $80
10# CO2 tank: $100

Eventually:
Milwaukee SMS122 pH meter: $85

That way I can work myself up to a fully automated system, but don't have to spend 200+ right away!

If you find any good deals let us know!

I guess because I'm a diver I know abou tthis. but I can get a 5lbs cylinder in my area for 50 bucks new. alot of places that rent cylinders to divers will sell their old ones after a while for really cheap. Just be absolutely sure on the hydrostatic tests. If you don't you can really hurt or kill someone.

Clippard Minimatic online parts..
http://www.clippard.com/store/display_details.asp?sku=4CQF-PKG ... 10 pack of adaptors to go from the standard 1/4 inch threads to the needle valve threads 1/8 inch.. you only need one of them they are sold in packs of ten.. $6.70
http://www.clippard.com/store/display_details.asp?sku=MNV-4K2 ....needle valve $10.40
^^^I posted this in the CO2 sticky a while back

MNV-4K2 is the part number at Clippard Minimatic for the needle valve :D
and 4CQF is the part number for 1/4 to 1/8" thread redusing fittings..
if you have a local welding supply shop you might be able to find the fitting there individualy (they should be somewere around $1 a piece give or take)..
try to find the cheapest standard regulator you can and fit these parts to it.. this is the cheapest solution I have been able to reaserch..
I left some links up there to there site.. Im pretty certian you have to by the adapters by the 10 pack but.. Ill double check for you.. :D

EDIT 10 is the smallest quantity (prices might have changed since I made the above post in the CO2 sticky)

Thank you very much Greenmaji!

I have found a local welder who sold me a new 10lb CO2 tank for just $50! Everybody else in this area wanted about $100 for a 5lb :shocked!: !

I've already ordered a Milwaukee regulator now. I liked the feature with the build in bubble counter and the solenoid. That way I connect it to a timer and have it shut off at night and maybe add a pH controler after a while. (And by the way: My husband paid for the regulator :wink: ).

Thank you for your research, greenmaji, kudos to you!

Finally got my regulator today, so the CO2 injection can begin.

About how many bubbles per minute should I have - 5? Oh yeah, how the hell am I gonna count that (counting till 5 in one second :? ).

I'd start with 1-2 bubbles a second, Tiffi. Let it run that way until about 2/3 through your next light cycle and keep an eye on your fish for respiratory stress then test your Kh/Ph and see what you've got. As long as everything stays on track keep testing/adjusting no more than once or twice a day until you get the readings you want.

Do I get another light cycle because of the CO2 added? Or do you mean because of the added fish (that would be clear)?

Got a kH of 7 and would like to get my initial pH of 7.5 to about 7.0.
That would give me about 21ppm.

Start out slowly with the bubbles because you don't want to suddenly drop the pH. Monitor your CO2 concentrations and adjust as needed.

One thing I have noticed with these bubble counters is that you think you have it adjusted for the perfect flow, and the next day you look and it seems that someone has shut it off - it needs to be adjusted rather frequently at first to keep the bubbles at a constant flow.

That's exactly what I am talking about in the other thread!
Yesterday it worked but only a few seconds after I've agjusted it it slows down so much that it stops again.

What am I supposed to do? Is the regulator broke? Do I have a gas leak?

No, it is not broken, it is unfortunately a typical problem. I personally have this problem only when I first set it up, right after I take the tank in for a new filling. Just keep your eye on it for a few days and it will stabilize. It is a good excuse to monitor the flow of gas into your tank, which is wise anyway. I am a sucker for "set it and forget it" gagets, but this is not one of them, lol. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom