Where to start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I was thinking about going to dry ferts. I currently have just been using flourish comprehensive and am close to being out so I was thinking about trying dry ferts but have no idea where to start!! So if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be wonderful!

They're cost effective and work well. Most popular opinions and info about fertilizing with them will point you towards two methods; PPS pro and EI. I would start by researching them thoroughly.
If you decide you want to make the switch there are several sites that sell them in packages.

Ok I some reason think I like the EI method...I guess if I find any reason to do go that route I will switch to the pps...I still havent found too much info on either one of them thats a tep by step type of thing but I shall keep looking :) Thank you for pointing me in a direction! Also I dont have c02 and wont for a while (I dont have the money for all that right now) so hopefully this doesnt screw things up too much...

Thank you so much!! Why did you go with the pps method? What are the benfits over the EI? Sorry I am just trying to figure out the best one :)

First I have a 220 gallon tank and with El doing a 50% WC weekly is out of the question. I do 10 gallons a day, every day which is so much easier. Plus we have terribly hard, high ph water from the tap. Which means I have to use RO water daily with tap water. I do have an RO unit. Second, I like giving smaller daily doses (1 dose macro-1 dose micro) on the PPS-Pro. Its much simplier and I can customize my dosage if needed (up or down). With El you have to add this one day, then that another, which I would rather not do. PPS just works best for me, you need to study each dosing method and see what looks to be the easiest for you.

If you order the micro/macro combo for $19.99 depending on the size of your tank, it could last a year or more.

If you go PPS Pro you need a gram scale which you can find cheap on line and it helps if you order the 1 liter dosing bottles that is on the fertilizer page (at the bottom if I remember right). You'll be glad you did as you just squeeze the dose up into the doser and pour into tank. Also dose micro mix at one end of the tank and the macro mix at the other end. Don't pour them in the same spot. Plus add 5ml flourish excel per 250ml of micro fert mix will keep the mix fungus free. You just can't get ferts any cheaper then dry ferts.

Can I order that combo of ferts and use it with the EI method? Would that be all I needed or would I have to get others? I saw something about dosing trace ferts? I am kind of confused about that. Thank you for all your help! Sorry if I am asking silly questions or too many. I just am trying to get a grasp on this whole dry ferts thing before I go buying the wrong stuff or doing the wrong things and mess things up badly! :)

Trace for EI would be Plantex csm+b. Which should be in that $19.99 package you were informed about.

Micro ferts are Trace elements. Then the macro's are the nitrates, phosphates, potassium. It's everything you need to start. It's better to ask questions than mess something up and then have to ask questions!

Oh you guys are wonderful thank you! I felt like I was going to be so lost and so confused!! Also is it going to be a huge issue that I dont have any co2 right now? If so would it hurt to pick up some excel and use some of that?

I have another question :hide: it seems that my ludwigia is starting to rot when I try to bury it in the sand to plant it. The top is growing like crazy and growing out of the water but the base and the roots are doing terribly. Will the dry ferts do anything to help with this? Or is there anything else I can try?

Yes you can use excel liquid carbon instead of CO2. I have a 220g that I am using it on right now. I think you will find once you start using your ferts your stem problem will resolve itself. You'll have to cut and replant your stems making sure they are planted individually and spaced just a tiny bit (you don't want to plant them in a bundle or one literally right against another). Planting this way will allow light to reach lower leaves. Also when using excel if you have Val's in your tank they "could" melt. My corkscrew Val is fine using excel but others have stated their Val's melt when using excel. You can do a google search to find out what plants are known to be sensative to excel. Glad this has helped.

Ok thank you! Yeah I have all the ludwigia spaced pretty far apart and like I said the top part is growing well and is now getting super red now but its just the bottom and the roots are having issues :/ All my plants are doing alright but they arent doing great so hopefully the ferts will help! The only thing really growing decent is my sword. Also do you have any suggestions on root tabs? I forget what can I was using but I ran out so I wanna pick up some more if I can find some good ones. Thank you a ton again for the help!! You made it seem super simple and easy!!

Swords are potassium hogs, so I actually get potassium root tabs for them from Aquarium Plants. Then I also use the iron tabs for my red plants and their Total substrate pellets. Here is a link: AquariumPlants.com's own: SUBSTRATE VITALIZATION SYSTEM

Plus since my tank is so deep (30") I ordered their Pellet Applicator, which is really nice. I don't have to get my hands wet or disturb plants since my tank is so heavily planted.

Ok thank you!! Thank you again for all the help!! Hopefully here soon I will have some extra money and can order the ferts and root tabs! Thanks one more time :)

Depending on the setup of the tank, it might not be necessary to dose N or P, as enough is commonly made as waste products from your fish. Also, with EI, it is mandatory that you use CO2, otherwise it's simply dosing too much.

Could I not get away with using the excel for a while? What about the other method? Would I have to use co2 with that? I would love to be able to get co2 running in my tank but its simply not an option at this time with the cost of it sadly :/ Is there anything I could do so I wouldnt have to use co2??

Back
Top Bottom