Which are the "extremely" low light plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
the 29 gallon I am setting up has just 17 watts of light .I have no money right now to upgrade to brighter light :(:( I know this is extremely low light with wpg <1.

What are my plant options if any ? I am sure going to drop in a few aponogeton bulbs. Anything else?

Anubias species, many Cryptocoryne species, Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus) and Hornwort (Ceratophyllum) will all do fairly well at that light level.

possibly anachris (whoa, I think i'm way off on spelling that). hornwort will probably do quite well

Second the java fern. I had a bunch in a 30 gallon tank with 20W NO. It was actually pearling at one point. It's in my gallery. I wouldn't recommend the amazon sword you see in the background :oops: that was a mistake.

under low light, no. until you hit 1.5wpg there's no need to add extra CO2 as the plants just don't need it.

I disagree on the Hornwort and Javafern.

I had 20watts of light on my 29gal, and the Hornwort and Javafern eventually decayed into nothingness.

17-20ish just don't have the power to penetrate deep into the tank, because 29's are a tall tank they require more lighting to get the same effect.

I learned that the hard way. Even with 40-ish watts of light on it plants wouldn't grow.

Interesting, William....

Until I bought my new light fixture I had 15watts on a 26 gallon bow-front and my Java Fern grew like a weed! I've always had luck with Hornwort in low-light tanks as well.

How deep was the tank tho?

a 29 is like...18-20 inches deep, so its harder for light to reach the bottom than, say, in a 12inch tank.

Who knows, then?

Seems I am cursed with the 1 in a million odds for everything to go wrong :p

I mean, seriously...I can even kill Javafern and Javamoss.

in fact i am also looking for some intersting plants that might be better at a lower light. at the moment i am debating heavily on java moss as i have heard it can tend to be a mess. but i do have a pennywort that is doing wonderful with my 15wts. Luck have it, hope it doesn't die off ~jinx~

Back
Top Bottom