Which fert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seanh84

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im not using co2 but am going to use fert, should i use tablets or liquid. Also does anyone know which plants these are? See pic

Attachments

• image-1874881044.jpg
    image-1874881044.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 95
We need some info regarding the tank to give you acurate advice. What is the size, lighting and fish you got? Also if you can maybe post some close-ups of the plants that will help. The one to the right looks like a sword, Amazon sword maybe. And the one second to the left might not be aquatic. But close-ups will help with that.

My tank is fairly new and low tech. I got root tabs from a local nursery with 5:1:5 NPK that I use under the root feeders. And then I dose once a week with Tetra Plantmin. Unfortunately we don't have many aquascaping products in our shops, so we learn to improvise :)

Its around 80 litre. I have 2 angels, 3 gournomi, 4 red eye tetra, 6 mollies, 1 clown plec, 1 catfish (unsure of type), 1 spripy cory, all these are small and young, Tank has been running since july

The light is a 30" 25w t8

I brought the plants from my local aquatic shop

Attachments

• image-741926455.jpg
    image-741926455.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 86
  • image-1196486262.jpg
    image-1196486262.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 74
Light is good. Maybe somebody else can give you better advice on the ferts. There is lots of info on the net though.

I'm no pro at identifying plants. Have just been doing some research for the last few months. The first pic is definately a sword of some kind. But the second pland looks like a miniature palm. Will do well in some potting soil in a pot next to the tank. Not an aquatic unfortunately. I've had a couple non-aquatic plants when I started off that I took out of my tank a month ago and planted in the garden. One of mine actually started growing corn-heads.. LFS don't do the research they are suppose to and don't take the responsibilty when things go wrong.

Lol all the research has frazzled my brain. All this is more experimenting to be honest for when i upgrade

Planted Tank Ferts

Hello Sean...

CO2 isn't a necessity for a well planted tank. The key is appropriate lighting, changing half the tank water weekly and a weekly dose of macro and micro nutrients.

If you need the specifics, just let me know.

B

co2 IS a requirement for all plants... aquatic or terrestrial. Injecting co2 isn't always a necessity (atmostphere has 7-10ppm co2 in it already)... for the swords, root tabs, regardless of lighting, will be beneficial. I'm not sure on that other plant, but I don't recognize it.

Planted Tank Ferts

Hello mf...

"Mea Culpa"... You're correct. I should have been more specific. I was referring to the pressurized, bottle form of carbon dioxide.

B

Cheers
I take it root tabs work in sand substrate?

The seachem flourish tabs are AMAZING. I used the API tabs when I first put my plants in and I was still getting a lot of die off and my plants really weren't doing well for about two weeks. Then, I put my flourish tabs in about 4 days ago and I am amazed at all the new growth I am seeing in my tank!

The amazon swords have already been identified, but that other plant I believe is a terrestrial plant that shouldn't go underwater. I've seen them in a lot of terrariums and what not. Don't worry, when I first started out with a planted tank about half of the plants I bought were terrestrial and I didn't know till they started dying in the water.

I have never used CO2 injection in my tanks, although I hear it really helps with algae control. I dose seachem flourish liquid fert and I just started using seachem excel which is some sort of liquid carbon/co2 supplement. And the seachem flourish root tabs of course, they are awesome.

Good luck!

Edit: I noticed you started 3 threads on almost the same subject. I am not a moderator or anything, but it is much easier for us to help if you keep all the information in the same thread. :)

I don't really suggest tablets or liquid ferts much unless you are working with a really small tank. I would go with dry ferts like what Rex Griggs has to offer. Cheap and easily adjustable.

So i have moved the plants so they are more spaced out now, all i have is plain sand on its own, will that be ok

Seanh84 said:
So i have moved the plants so they are more spaced out now, all i have is plain sand on its own, will that be ok

I'm not sure what you are asking here?

Seanh84 said:
Im not using co2 but am going to use fert, should i use tablets or liquid. Also does anyone know which plants these are? See pic

Hi. I believe the plant you have is a neanthe Bella palm. A terrestrial plant that doesn't do great underwater apparently. Though I have seen them go well for at least 3 months.

Just an update.
I took advice and spread all the swords out, i ended up with 6 small plants, i have just had a look and all plants have new leaves growing.
I have used liquid fert from my lfs and ordered flourish tabs,
One question, how do i remove dead leaves? ie cut the leaf of or the stalk aswell?

Just an update.
I took advice and spread all the swords out, i ended up with 6 small plants, i have just had a look and all plants have new leaves growing.
I have used liquid fert from my lfs and ordered flourish tabs,
One question, how do i remove dead leaves? ie cut the leaf of or the stalk aswell?

Cut it as close to the base of the plant as you can. If you just cut the leaf, the rest will just slowly rot in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom