Which is best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends. What are your goals? What sort of plants are you looking at? Do you have a particular budget?

Good question

I intend to set up a planted 20 gallon long tank. I plan to have a species tank with small fish and may be shrimp as well.
Not done enough home work to know exact species of plants. But I would like a short grass type plant for the front half. The back half plants with height. to give the fish and maybe shrimp somewhere to hide. Budget wise I think I could go either way to get the best of what I want.
BTW would I need to go the co2 injection route?

I prefer LEDs because they run cooler, have a smaller chassis, use less energy, you don't have change out the bulbs annually, and some have color control and dimming capabilities. Popular brands include Finnex and Current USA. Many models to choose from.
This link has lots of pics of categorized plants. Helpful when trying to decide on what to get: http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/Aquarium-Plants-_c_12.html
A 20L is small enough for DIY CO2 IMO. You may want to consider starting out with DIY CO2.
For pressurized CO2 you will need: CO2 tank (regular or paintball size), regulator, check valve, bubble counter, CO2 tubing, CO2 diffuser, and a drop checker.
You will want to consider a decent fertilizer regimen. Depending on the lighting, Seachem Flourish Comprehensive plus API Leaf Zone make a nice combination of micro and macro ferts. Green Leaf Aquariums (GLA) has a few fertilizer packages that frequently used by members on this forum on their planted tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom