Which light for a 15 gal TALL betta biotope?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluebetta26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of setting up a 15 gallon high betta biotope for my rescued betta that I am getting from craigslist on Saturday. (The person who has him has been out of town for a week, otherwise, I would of got him last week. He's currently in a 2.5 gallon barren fish tank with no heater. I have seachem prime, stability, and a master api test kit to help monitor/control water quality and ammonia levels during the cycling of his temporary tank, and in his new tank once it's set up. I already got him a present to help spruce up his temporary home, a java fern and heater. :)

I chose a 15 gallon high for the foot print of 20"x10", as my apartment complex only allows 10 gallons. (I've had two 10's on a double stand before, and they didn't bat an eye, so I feel an extra tall 10 will be fine ;)

It's 19" tall, so I'm not sure what light to get.

It will have flourite substrate, be heated to 80F, and most likely an aquaclear or internal filter with spray bar. My tapwater ph is around 7.4 if I remember correctly, but I am going to get another small piece of malaysian driftwood and some indian almond leaves, which will lower the ph a little.

I will dose with liquid co2 and seachem liquid fertilizers (I have iron, phosphorous, potassium, nitrogen, excel, comprehensive, and a couple others)

The flourite substrate will be about 5-6" in the back right corner, then slope down steeply to about 2-3" deep for the rest of the tank.

Here are the plants that I am wanting (I plan to choose 3-6 species out of the list):
~Hygrophila corymbosa (compact, siamensis, etc.)
~Hygrophila difformis
~Downoi (pogostemon helferi)
~Blyxa japonica/aubertii
~Crpts (cordata var cordata "blassil," crispulata var balansae, parva, wendtii)
~Crinum thainanum
~Nymphaea stellata
~Cyperus helferi
~Java fern (maybe, only because I have one currently)
~Vallisneria (asiatica, italian vals, any species from Asia)

Which light would you recommend? I'm looking for a link to a specific light, I've been looking at Finnex fixtures as they seem highly recommended, but wasn't sure which one I would need. I want to spend under $100 ideally, and want a light that can be clipped on/or set on the tank, nothing hanging from the ceiling.

Thank you so much for any help! :)

Well not sure if this helps, but I've narrowed it down to:
~A crypt species
~Hygrophila corymbosa sp.
~Hygrophila difformis
~Nymphaea stellata
*Possibly java fava fern too, just since I already have one

Any ideas for those plant species which Finnex light would be best for a 19" deep tank? Or links to any other recommended light fixtures would be good too.

Thank you! :)

Back
Top Bottom