Which lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
What lights are best for plants I found one that is supposed to be for corals but also good in fresh water plants, another one that is supposed to be good for only fresh tanks that is supposed to be full spectrum but for plants? Before I upgrade and spend a bunch of money I want to get the right one. I will also be adding a diy co2 system. I don't know if it matters but I am also cycling the tank atm. I have a 37g tall 3 swords, 5 java ferns, 1 wisteria, and 5 ludwigia cuttings and I am planning on adding more.

What lights are best for plants I found one that is supposed to be for corals but also good in fresh water plants, another one that is supposed to be good for only fresh tanks that is supposed to be full spectrum but for plants? Before I upgrade and spend a bunch of money I want to get the right one. I will also be adding a diy co2 system. I don't know if it matters but I am also cycling the tank atm. I have a 37g tall 3 swords, 5 java ferns, 1 wisteria, and 5 ludwigia cuttings and I am planning on adding more.

Oh, wow. Get ready for a lot of answers and a lot of questions. This just isn't that easy to answer. I can tell you what worked for me, though.

2 2-bulb AquaticLife T5 Fixtures. Each has 1 39 watt 6,000k T5 HO bulb and one 650NM 39 Watt roseate. This is for a 40 gallon breeder.

This setup is also available as a 4-bulb with blue LEDs for nights and a timer. I regret not getting the 4 bulb.

So, there's a start. But you also have to get your ferts and CO2 right... Sounds like you are working on that. Here's a pic of what those fixtures look like and the result I'm getting. This tank is 8 months old and not at its best:

Attachments

• image-835122623.jpg
    image-835122623.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 50
If your gonna be doing co2 and ferts then you need high light. You could use marine for it but the color just kills the look of a fw tank. You have lots of research to do. Id research each plant you want and find out their lighting and nutrient needs before you jump into co2, ferts, and lighting. Otherwise you may be shelling out close to 1k $ with no results

I am doing everything on the cheap here so spending $1000 isn't an option. I just watched how to build a co2 reactor out of 2 liter bottles tubing a sponge and a suction cup with some yeast and sugar oh and check valves all of which I have in the house. I have fertilizer (I haven't used it yet) now I just need the right light. The first time. Because once I buy that's it I don't have anymore money to work with. All off my plants are moderate to high light. The plants that I am adding are the just more of same ones that I already have.

How long has it been set up? Ill repost a link for some great lights

Here is the light link. How long is your tank?

Aquarium Lighting T5 Fluorescent Light Fixture: AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp Light Fixtures

Those are the exact same lights I use and I have had no problem with them at all. I highly recommend them... If you decide to go with 4 bulbs, though, I recommend the 4 bulb fixture rather than two 2-bulb fixtures. Sure, sounds like common sense, right? Meantime... I have tow 2-bulb fixtures instead of one 4 bulb...

I have the quad bulb Aquaticlife T5 HO w/programmable timer & blue night lights. I have hi light plants, PPS-Pro & Glut. I LOVE this light. Your 37g is tall so you'll really need the 4 bulb for hi light plants. LED will be the future but unless cutom built, you have to have two or more fixtures to get really high light. Too costly IMO, I'll wait for the LED for plants to get better and cheaper. Brian-Nano12g is a great guy on lights. Look him up as he can help you alot on your decision. Good luck. OS.

Back
Top Bottom