which of these are 1 WPG plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Java ferns and anubias should do fine. Crypts are lowlight also. Hornwort does fine in lowlight but gets messy. Sag and swords are medium light plants.

I had my swords in 1 wpg they grew very slowly, but they did grow. Once I upped the light they really took off.

Rich pulled it off, but I've never been able to keep swords alive in anything under 1.5wpg.
But you'll find that to be the case...plants above 1wpg, there's always a little speculation on the exact minimum wattage needed to keep them.
Travis Simonson, for example, can keep some very difficult plants that wilt in my tank...yet I grow forrests of java ferns and his just fall apart. So many variables to juggle in a planted tank.

Which is why I have an ongoing experiment in my planted tank. I also have a couple of swords (broad and narrow leaf) and a lugwigia repens. They are both "living" albeit not absolutely thriving in 1.1 wpg.

On the other hand...java moss and anacharis grows to insane lengths and my java ferns know no bounds.

My java ferns and anubias are out of control in my 29 gallon with less than 1 wpg. I even have some kind of sword in there that's doing really well, surprisingly. Anyway, java ferns, java moss, and anubias will probably do really well in your tank, and crypts will probably be ok. If you want to upgrade your lighting sometime, the compact flourescent strips that would fit your tank wouldn't be too expensive, since you would be buying the 10 gallon size.

true 'compacta swords' can do well in 1wpg. but the compacta's I got weren't true species, and thus needed more light than 1wpg.

I have melon sword and ozelot sword in my 1.2 WPG. They are both gowing fine. Maybe a new leaf every 2 weeks. I have estes gravel and a root tab under each.

I recommend African ferns as well as some of the Anubias species for growing under that low light. I also have some Cryptocoryne lutea and a compact sword that survive at 1 wpg.

severum mama said:
If you want to upgrade your lighting sometime, the compact flourescent strips that would fit your tank wouldn't be too expensive, since you would be buying the 10 gallon size.
What do you mean ?

I think that severum mama meant that since you have a 10 gallon tank, the compact fluorescent light fixture would be much cheaper overall than if you had a 55 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom