Which plants for first time planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10Gallon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've never done live plants before. I'm looking to do a 20 long. I want plants that are hardy and do not require much light(so I don't have to invest in special lighting). I also want plants that will grow tall near the back of the tank to hide heaters and filter intake tubes. What abut Jungle Val or Java Fern? Would those be good choices for me?

Java fern, any crypt species, any sword species, sagitteria, vals, helanthium, any moss, rotala rotundifolia, Lysimachia nummularia, ludwigia repens, any anubias, hemianthus micranthemoides, dwarf tiger lotus, crinum, apongetons, lagenandra meeboldii, most hygrophila species.

That should be a good start. Lighting doesn't have to be special, what light do you have? (make/model/colour spectrum/how you have it set up/ any other info)??

You will still need a decent light that puts off a spectrum suitable for plants. You don't have to go expensive.. But you may need to buy a special bulb or do a slight upgrade.

You may want to research light types intesities spectrums some.

What light and/or bulb do you plan on using?

I have a Coralife 30 inch T5 light fixture. Any recommendation on which bulb for it? The bulb is several years old and I plan on changing it. Also in the future I want to get the Finnex 24/7.

That light is fine for all the species I mentioned above. Try for a 6700K bulb, if its a 2 bulb fixture pick up a pink/red plant bulb to go with the 6700K

Back
Top Bottom