Which substate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rsquared333

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is a good light colored, medium to small size grain substrate that would be good for a 10 gal with these plants.

1 Anacharis
2 Blood Stargrass
3 Japanese Fans
1 Dwarf Lily Plant
4 Dwarf Onions
1 Asian Ambulia
10 Tall Sagittaria subulata
1 small red-spot Ozelot sword
8 Crypt Walkeri
3 Java Ferns
1 Java Moss

A bag of regular Flourite would be perfect. But you might want to think about your plant selection.

The Ozelot will get way to big for a 10 gallon. Same for the Crypts. Also if I'm not mistaken the Japanese Fan is not an Aquatic plant. Also the Sags are going to get much to large for your tank. A 10 gallon tank only has about 9-10" of water to work with once you put the substrate in.

Even the three Java ferns could soon fill a 10 gallon tank. I pulled a Java fern out of my 55 gallon tank a few weeks ago that was about a foot square and almost a foot high.

Flourite, or if you like black, eco-complete.

Rex I think you're right about the japanese/oriental fan...it's marginal at best.

I'd also leave the sword & lily out for sure. You've chosen more species of plants than I have in my 75gallon. it's tempting to pick a lot of neat plants out...but it'll look a lot better if you pick just 1 or 2 background plants, something for the midground, and again a single foreground plant species.

Asian ambulia will grow like a weed under the right conditions. I have to prune mine twice a week.

Thanks for the info, the plants i listed come in a package and I was probably going to leave the bigger ones out. Thanks for narrowing down the choices

Thanks for the info, the plants i listed come in a package and I was probably going to leave the bigger ones out. Thanks for narrowing down the choices

My vote is fro eco-complete. I used it for my 1st and only planted tank and everything is thriving. Now... not to say it's all because of teh soil, but I like to think it has something to do with that. Also, the black versus green is a great contrast. It's up to you...flourite is good too.

As for the plants themselves? I say start off with no more than 3 background plants, and a decent number of foreground...say 4. Let them establish themselves first, then add if you like. What you will see happen in a matter of weeks, is that plants will grow where they want to. I bought a Wysteria plant and it sprouted these hair-like extensions and little plants that float on the surface like lilly pads. It started to over grow the tank and every week I was "weeding" the Wysteria. The bottom line is that in the optimal environment, plants will grow and take over more space then you planned. Plan ahead. You will definitely need shears to trim. Good Luck!

if it's from azgardens.com be prepared for substitutions without notification...
not sure what Rex has to say about them.

I personally would not order from them. If you were able to go to the place and actually pick your plants it would be a different thing. There is the substitution problem also. I think you would be better off finding someone that is trimming their tank and getting the trimmings. On this forum or at The Planted Tank would be good places to look.

I have a problem with their including in a package a non-aquatic plant. Also on their web site they have several non-aquatic plants listed under the aquarium plant section. This to me means they really don't give a damn about anything other than making a buck. Let the buyer beware.

Thanks for the info. I haven't found a lot of reviews for them and the ones I found were mixed. I probably will go to a lfs than. Again thanks for the info and saving me time, money, and unneeded stress.

I have had good luck with AZGardens but years ago I too purchased the 10-gal package and had WAY too many plants for that size tank. Also, their shipping charges are high. I was pleased with the plants themselves, tho.

I would go with the advice above and pick your plants specifically yourself. If you have a good LFS that carries plants (so many don't these days) that is definitely the way to go. Watch out for snails. :wink:

well i actually will encourage heavy planting, the key is pruning/trimming. of course i use plants as a final step in the nitrifiaction process and there fore have a special setup. you'll need some heavy light and possibly co2 with that load. all i'm saying is it's possible if thats your goal. i have fish in planted tanks some people just like plants. so.... only you can answer that

I will probably go with a med amount of plant. I found a good lfs that carries what I like. TankGirl, have you ever ordered fish or inverts from AZgardens.com because they are the only ones I have found that have pygmy corydoras (which is what I want to stock my tank with, plus some shrimp).

Does anyone here use Seachem prime to de-chloraminate their planted tank? The seachem rep said that it doesn't get rid of heavy metals like iron, but it does remove lead. I just bought a bottle, so I hope it doesn't kill the plants I'm putting in this week. $10 is alot when your wallet is full receipts and not cash. :roll:

I use prime on my tanks. As you can see from the photos, it doesn't hurt plants.
Iron might be a heavy metal, but it's a lot less toxic in the amounts you'd find in municple water, as compared to traces of lead causing major problems in humans and fish alike.

Remember though that 1ml of prime treats 10gallons of water...its far more concentrated than something like AmQuel (my former dechlor of choice). Don't go overboard with it, just use as much as is needed.

I have a 10 gallon tank. It states in the instructions that you should add some with every water change. If I'm only changing 20% of the water, does that mean I only use about 0.25ml with every change?

Do you you also have any experience with Seachem Stability?

If you put the replacement water directly into the tank you treat the whole tank. If you condition the replacement water in a container just treat the replacement water.

Good deal

K, thanks. Will have to treat the tank until I find a find a clean medicine dropper. Maybe they have some at petsmart.

Back
Top Bottom