White Cloud minnow and java moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exigenn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Not really sure where to put this but here it goes.

Im setting up a 10 gallon tank at my grandmas house with Just a tank and lid, no heater or filter.

I plan on planting the tank with mostly java moss and java ferns.

The residents would be White Cloud.

I have no experience with this fish and was wondering if they would eat the plants.

if they do can anyone recommend me a fish that would be ok without a filter and heater in a planted tank Not really wanting like a 1 fish betta setup something i can keep a hand full of together.

Thanks

They will not eat the plants as long as they are fed.

May I ask why no filter?
A simple air driven sponge would be fantastic!

Where in NY are you??

yea thats kind of what im looking for. I doubt she will change the water much so its going to be whenever i can get over there(every 1-2 months) and with no heater im sure there will be temp fluctuation so we will see how it goes.

The other fish i was considering would be danios if you could give any input on them

I believe they are very similar.
Some may say the danios want more leg room...
Both would like bigger but could be Grandmas friend in a 10g also.
Could you sneek a bigger tank without filter....
Like a 20 long????

Nah she wanted a bowl originally lol....10 gallon was a stretch

Those were just my ideas but im open to suggestions for a 10 gallon. Again no filter heater and most likely some pretty big temp fluctuations.

By big do you mean sudden and dramatic? That may be a bit stressful on the fish.

By noise does she mean "buzzing" from the filter or trickle from the water?

If she's worried about buzzing get a Marina Slim 10, 15 or 20:

http://www.amazon.com/Marina-A285-S10-Power-Filter/dp/B0032G8TPW

A slim 15 is $14 shipped and my slim 10 is practically noiseless.

If the trickle is what she's worried about just use a lid and top off the water once a week. She's going to have to do top offs anyway if you're only there monthly or less.

IMHO a tank without water flow is a bad idea. I have tried glass jars or vases like that and in only a few days they build up surface scum, which starts to smell nasty in under a week.

Also water changes every month or so is doable just be sure to plant it well. Hornwort, anacharis, water wisteria, and other fast growing stems will help with this. They use up the waste created by fish.

I mean, all plants do, but those grow fast so they may help a bit more.

Not sudden and dramatic really she keeps here house warm as hell lol

Honestly i have no idea what she specifically doesn't want noise wise. I told her i can get a pretty much silent filter but she just doesn't want it. Cant convince the woman once here minds set.

I plan on having it planted well but the thing isn't even going to have a proper light. Just ambient and indirect sunlight so plants are pretty limited. Not to mention she doesn't like the way certain plants look and crap. Tbh the whole things a big pain in the ***. She can not be reasoned with.. comes over and sees my tank and wanted one, But cant have this this this and this ect...

Back
Top Bottom