Who me? Couldn't be... then who?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
Someone is eating my plants. My baby tears are no longer (which is alright... because they just made a mess in the tank anyways) but someone in my tank is eating the leaves. Who could it be-

My....
angel fish?
black tailed shark?
serpea tetras?
odessa barbs?
cory cats?
hatchets?
pleco?

Could be the pleco. What kind is it? I'd rule out the corries unless they were very very hungry. I wouldn't say it would be the shark or the hatchets either. My guess would be either the pleco, barbs, angelfish in that order.
HTH
-Stewie

Its the angel. Mine LOVES my plants. I couldn't believe how much plant an angel is capable of eating. I put in some spinach leaves on a clip, and he will go for that before the plants.

I agree with stewie 100%. Only fish on your list that I haven't kept is the black tailed shark, but after looking it up, I doubt he'd be eating your plants (more than the odd nibble here and there). Even the angels and barbs shouldn't be eating more than a couple bites of vegitation once in a while

The Pleco is the most likely culprit, and he's likely munching plants at night when plecos tend to be more active. If you specifically feed him Cucumber, Zuchini, or alage tablets, he might be inclined to leave your plants alone.

I feed him algea tabs n stuff

He is an 8in common pleco... he is known to tear through my plants as well.
Since his mouth is so big i guess i didn't think he would eat leaves so small.

*shakes head* silly pleco
Ill give him some cucumber or something and hopefully that will help

thanks guys =o)

No problem. If feeding him cucumber, i'd recommend using a fork or something to weight the chunk of it down, or else get a veggie clip and put the veggie clip and cucumber on the side of the tank. It also helps to buy seedless cucumbers, that is unless you want a buttload of seeds to dig out from the top of the tank in the morning. Well worth the extra 75 cents IMO.
HTH
-Stewie

Back
Top Bottom