whts wrong with anacharis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You will probably need to go to an actual pet store to find aquarium light bulbs. Unless your Walmart has a pet section, they probably just sell house lamp type bulbs.

An aquarium bulb will not be a spiral, but it'll look like two U's coming out of the part that screws in. Like this:

Zoo Med Ultra Sun Daylight Compact Fluorescent Bulb at PETCO

097612054019C.jpg

Mr. Limpet said:
Even as an adult, that's an issue with this hobby lol.

A 25w CFL is going to produce a lot less heat that a regular light bulb and that's why they put a limit on wattage. If you go to the plant dept. you'll see them with K ratings.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

lol but i love it so much il keep that in mind im actualy suprized how less heat the cfl produces my incan throws off wayy more than i thought my Walmart dosent have a plant secction its all out doors so its not even in season yet

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
its a step up from a incan at least the 15w cfl is equal to a 55w incan the wattage dont really matter though just thought id share

The incan only give you light, the plants can't use it and fish don't really care. Without plants you don't really need a light if there's light in the room from a window.

Vircomore said:
You will probably need to go to an actual pet store to find aquarium light bulbs. Unless your Walmart has a pet section, they probably just sell house lamp type bulbs.

An aquarium bulb will not be a spiral, but it'll look like two U's coming out of the part that screws in. Like this:

il look at my reptile dept at my lfs the aquarium section only has long reqular flourcesents and incans

Mr. Limpet said:
The incan only give you light, the plants can't use it and fish don't really care. Without plants you don't really need a light if there's light in the room from a window.

so am i sol for the time being?

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
lol but i love it so much il keep that in mind im actualy suprized how less heat the cfl produces my incan throws off wayy more than i thought my Walmart dosent have a plant secction its all out doors so its not even in season yet

Love what? The light fixture or the bulb?

Sure they do, house plants. Ours is an old, little wallyworld and they have them. Or Kmart, or whatever store has the best deal. Dollar store most likely, not lol.

Mr. Limpet said:
Love what? The light fixture or the bulb?

Sure they do, house plants. Ours is an old, little wallyworld and they have them. Or Kmart, or whatever store has the best deal. Dollar store most likely, not lol.

love the hobby lol il look agian next time we go there expanding to a super wally atm so it may have been sacrificed now but il look i have a ma n pa flower garden store near by you think there worth checkkin out?

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
love the hobby lol il look agian next time we go there expanding to a super wally atm so it may have been sacrificed now but il look i have a ma n pa flower garden store near by you think there worth checkkin out?

Oh lol. Yep no reason to give it up because of a light bulb.

If nothing else get a clear, clean tupperware from mom, put some tank water in it and put it a sunny window. It'll grow good IMO till you get a bulb.

Tried looking on walmart.com but couldn't find what I saw at the store. But it was a 5000K (?) cfl in the plant section, just didn't need it since I upgraded my DT afterall.

Mr. Limpet said:
IMO, not really. Put the tub in your moms kitchen lol.

lol idk when i can get bulbs n if itd be good to leave em unheated for so long

097612054019C.jpg

Actually, you can go to Walmart and get the CF screw in 6500k daylight bulbs like these. Just need to watch the wattage for the tank size. These are what I use on my plants 10g tanks.

GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 Reviews, Specs, Ratings & Prices - Green Options Community

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
lol idk when i can get bulbs n if itd be good to leave em unheated for so long

Plants don't ned heat, just not freezing, like outside. I keep extra plants in a big tub, no heat or filter. Just PWC every 3 days so water stays fresh and my plants grow in it.

Plants will grow with 4100k bulbs. Tom Barr has reported using 2700k bulbs successfully in planted aquariums. Typically, 5000k to 10,000k bulbs are recommended though. I prefer 10,000k bulbs. I have 6500k bulbs on my 125 and I don't like them nearly as much as the 10,000k's on my 40.

uva uvb is what beardies need ik kus i have a leo il keep a look out and im gnna move my anacharis keep rest in tank there doin well

mfdrookie516 said:
Plants will grow with 4100k bulbs. Tom Barr has reported using 2700k bulbs successfully in planted aquariums. Typically, 5000k to 10,000k bulbs are recommended though. I prefer 10,000k bulbs. I have 6500k bulbs on my 125 and I don't like them nearly as much as the 10,000k's on my 40.

how come my anachris is so off colored

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
uva uvb is what beardies need ik kus i have a leo il keep a look out and im gnna move my anacharis keep rest in tank there doin well

I used to bred berdies (corn snakes too) and kept them under UVA/B lights too, but IMO I'd never put one on an aquarium.

Rookie says they'll grow under 4100K, because he knows someone that's been doing it, so it sounds like you're good after all. I prefer the optimum 6700K range myself, that's why I suggested it.

Good luck!

Rookie says they'll grow under 4100K, because he knows someone that's been doing it, so it sounds like you're good after all. I prefer the optimum 6700K range myself, that's why I suggested it.
I wouldn't say I know them... Haven't you ever heard of Tom Barr? One of the bigger names in planted tanks.

But that begs the question... what is optimal range? If plants grow well in 2700k up to 18,000k, why isn't 'optimal' range in there? Not to start a big debate, but it is worth questioning. The sun has every color light there is. So plants in the wild take their pick of what light they use. We can't replicate that because bulbs just can't do that (yet at least). There's a graph that fort384 showed that shows the comparison between 4000k all the way up to 10,000k. They were very very similar. That said, around 7000k is right about in the middle. Im just thining out loud. You get what I mean?

EDIT: as far as the anacharis... probably just lighting deficiency. If its under that cfl, it should perk right up over the next week or two

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom