Why are my crytocoryne wendtii roots growing up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niccobacci11

Aquarium Advice Freak
his is not the first time that I have seen it it has always happened with this plant and it doesn't seem like it is hurting the plant at all.
Is it normal and the plant is just trying to get nutrients from the water?
or is it because there is something wrong with my substrate?
The tank is a 29 gallon whit eco-complete and moderate lighting. I dose potassium, leafzone, and flourish tabs (with the tabs i only really put them under my swords so i don't know if it is reaching them or not) weekly.

Any help would be awesome.

sorry for the blurry pics. :)

Attachments

• image-2862054591.jpg
    image-2862054591.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 100
  • image-199144703.jpg
    image-199144703.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 94
I noticed this happens in my tanks where there are very well established plants that just run out of room for the roots. The substrate apparently isn't quite deep enough in those areas. It's not harmful to the plant but it's a little unsightly.

Crypts appreciate root tabs as well. Try giving them some, it may encourage the roots to stay down. Also, like m said, it may be from too shallow of a substrate.

Roots usually do that when they are searching for more nutrients. Crypts are heavy root feeders and need to be supplied with root tabs on a regular basis. I add root tabs about every 45 days but that varies depending on the brand root tabs you use.

I use flourish root tabs in my takes but like I said I only do my swords would Flourish root tabs be sufficient enough for the crypts? Also the substrate is about 3" in most places.

Flourish root tabs or any root tabs will be fine for the crypts. Swords, Crypts, and other bulb plants need root tabs as they are all heavy root feeders.

Crypts are normally planted with the rhizome buried, not lying on the surface like Anubias.

Crypts don't have rhizomes, only roots. The crown of the crypt is where leaves grow out from and it shouldn't be under the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom