Why are my plants all dying?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like some otos, but I object to their collection method, so is there any other fish that could happily live in a 29 gallon with semi aggressive fish? Would a lizardfish work?

Also, wouldn't excel increase the algae growth?

I understand about the Otos. Cool. I don't have any recommendations (sorry).
Excel used in the water column will help the plants which should then compete with the algae.
Excel when used for spot treating and be used to kill algae.
Yes, Amazon for the planted+. I plan to order a 30" model tonight.

So, My tank is 30ish inches wide, but the hood fits a 24 inch bulb. I can't be sure with the picture, but it looks like the finnex fugeray planted plus sits directly on the aquarium. does that mean that I have to get the 30 inch model, or did I misunderstand and should I get 24 inch?

thanks.

So, My tank is 30ish inches wide, but the hood fits a 24 inch bulb. I can't be sure with the picture, but it looks like the finnex fugeray planted plus sits directly on the aquarium. does that mean that I have to get the 30 inch model, or did I misunderstand and should I get 24 inch?

thanks.

No, you are right, you get the 30 inch model.

And about the Otos, I'm sorry but that is really your best bet. Shrimp might work but not nearly as well. I understand your concern though. The problem is that they have never been tank bred, as far as I know. Spot dosing with excel or hydrogen peroxide would work as well. If you need to know just google it, because I don't know the specific amounts used.

Shrimp won't work - my angelfish would eat them for brunch. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Would a finnex Ray2 work? I don't think I need all the moonlight settings and stuff.

The Ray2 would work. It may also give you too much light and that would be a bad thing (algae wise) if you don't keep up with the ferts and carbon source. I'd let other chime in on this. The planted + still sounds like a better choice.
I believe all Finnex models (FugeRay, FugeRay Planted +, and Ray2) have the moonlight feature.

I'll look into it.

ON a different note, sort of a cycling thing - I have a much bigger filter, I think it is an Aqua-tech 30-60 aquarium (from Walmart) that came with the aquarium. Do you guys think it would be better water flow wise than an aquaclear 30? And if so, could I just put it in, or does it need the old filter sponge from the aquaclear? thanks.

I'll look into it.

ON a different note, sort of a cycling thing - I have a much bigger filter, I think it is an Aqua-tech 30-60 aquarium (from Walmart) that came with the aquarium. Do you guys think it would be better water flow wise than an aquaclear 30? And if so, could I just put it in, or does it need the old filter sponge from the aquaclear? thanks.

You could do both as long as the flow isn't too strong. Just keep the water level high. I run a filter rated for 25 and one for 30 gallons in my 20 gallon, which is in my bedroom, I don't hear anything at all.

I can't really fit the light and the filters on the aquarium at the same time. could I put the sponge in the new filter for a few weeks?

I can't really fit the light and the filters on the aquarium at the same time. could I put the sponge in the new filter for a few weeks?

If you can fit the old sponge in the new filter with the new sponge you should have zero issues. I left my established media in for a month, but that was mainly because it's my cleaning interval for the canister.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom