Why can't I grow ground cover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Why am I having such an issue growing those short plants that spread and cover the ground? I have multiple other plants that are going strong with the occasional minor blip, but am down to one sprig of ludwiga (I think that's what it is.) I keep either having them either get dug up or I see the whole batch die. Aside from my goldfish digging some of them up, what am I doing wrong? Also, what is the proper way to plant ground cover in sand? I have been using PetSmart's Top Fin plants in the gel packs, and everything else from the same stock (IE most of my plant stock) is doing great.

Lighting? Tank hieght? Substrate? Ferts? Co2? Glut???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You'll never have a nice planted tank with plant devouring and digging fish like goldfish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My goldfish is not the whole problem Gillie. I couldn't grow ground cover when all I had was neons and otocinclous cats.
View attachment 250012

Here's my current 29g with sand, lit by a M57 halide 8" above the water. Temp is 82 deg. Also tried with dual 40w LTT @ 6500k.

Same result with my 10g with both sand and gravel (again, only neons and otos.) And everything lighting it from a pair of 10w CFLs, 18w, 25w, and a 70w halide. 2900k, 6500k, actinic, and 10,000k. Same story.

I now think what I'm trying is Cardinal, but I have tried it, Ludwiga, Hairgrass, and Helferi in both of the tanks.

What about ferts and stuff? Root tabs? How long you stick with any one light?

Oh yeah, again, a lot of experimenting, but I've settled for now on 15mL of a 50/50 mix of API Leaf Zone and Seachem Flourish micros at each water change. 6-12-6 root tabs are in the sand, as with soil underneath. Also 15mL glut every other morning. I am still new to plants. I've had this MH light for about three months. The dual 40's were used for a year prior.

Meanwhile, I started with gravel with soil under in my 10g. Dual 15w CFLs in 2700k, which I hated. I eventually got some 25 watt 6500K CFLs and started doing some good for about 4 months. Same ferts as 29g. I would switch to 10w actinics for about a month total to combat cyanobacteria, and eventually won. I then got my 70w MH built so I put an 8000K bulb in it (though it looks just like 10,000K to me) and ran it like that about 3 months until BBA killed me 2 months ago. Great growth until then. Since I lost everything, I rebuilt it and now have sand and only a few plants here which come out of my 29g.

I don't know.. it's seems as though you've got a routine..with carpeting plants it's usually lighting, co2 and ferts. You say the goldfish is digging them up? Do they ever get a chance to root?

The goldfish were just getting my latest batch. The rest I just couldn't get going. Period.

I also lost the cardinal plants in my 10g, where there are no fish right now.

Back
Top Bottom