Why cant i keep Anacharis alive??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have tried keeping anacharis 6 or 7 different times over the last few years. THIS time i bought enough to put in all my tanks, i bought clusters of it from 3 different pet stores.
Tank 1. I added 14-18 stems (planted in gravel) 5 smaller pieces floating.
- 8g tank with 13w CF (fluval tank with stock light) with fluval stratum substrate mixed with river pebble substrate and API 1st layer plant substrate. All my other plants are fine.. inhabitants are a betta, 6 neons, 3 japanese algea eater shrimp and 2 mystery snails (temp around 77F) light on for about 12 hours a day

Tank 2. planted 6-10 stems of anacharis. it no longer stands up and just lays limp and lifelessly on the substrate. which is a mix of river rock pebbles, API 1st layer plant substrate, and flourite. Lighting is 2 CF 17inch 40w bulbs that are each 50/50 bulbs (10k/6700) its a 60g hex tank with 2 pictus cats, 3 silver tip tetras, 2 pearl gouramis, 3 gold dust mollies, 5 juv mollies, 2 juv. swordtails, 1 adult F swordtail. (temp around 84F, ending treatment for ich) light on for about 12 hours a day

Tank 3. planted 5 stems. in my 29g tank with stock florescent bulb, and houses 2 facny gold fish. all besides the smallest stem, just melted away. the smallest stem is just stagnant (temp around 73F) light on for 10 hours

Tank 4. floated 5-7 medium length pieces, 20g extra high, home to a ton of fry. lighting: 2 40w CF 50/50 bulbs (same as above) all of these plants just turned to mush and i had to remove them. light on for 10 hours

i dose with fertilizers on the days that i remember (about every other day) i use flourish excel

these results have happened in about a week, all plants seemed healthy and some were very dark green before putting in my tanks. THIS HAPPENS EVERYTIME I TRY ANACHARIS.. i just dont understand

I wish I could help but I had the same problem. Mine lasted a little while and turned brown and fragile. I've heard they like alkaline water? I think they are harder to keep than websites say.

Agreed, anacharis is surprisingly finicky compared to my other plants. Annoying. But it could be the water you have. Soft water may not be its favorite.

im honestly not sure if i have hard or soft water... but at least im not the only one who has this issue.. i guess i wont waste my money and buy more.. i love the plant though

Excel can kill anacharis if the plant is not properly acclimated to it. Half dose to start and don't dose directly onto the plant or into it's flow of water. Try mixing the excel and tank water in a cup first and then pour it in.

Did you try stripping the leaves off of the base of the plant, where you planted it into the substrate?

Dear rreeckers,

Having Goldies, I have no success with anything planted in substrate--it interferes with their foraging! But I have have much success with anacharis as floating plants. I have heard that excel can melt both anacharis and crypts. So I don't fertilize--just let the fish waste before vacuuming fertilize. Sometimes they have even attached their roots to some of my anubia plants which are tied to driftwood.
Chris

I've never had much luck with it in an aquarium either, but I do know somebody who grew it to great lengths (like over 12") in a 5gal bucket they used to water their dog. I'm not sure that it is so much that it is finicky, as it is that an aquarium doesn't provide the correct conditions. Since it is classified as an invasive plant in a number of the colder states, my guess would be that it needs higher light and colder temperatures than are typically provided in an aquarium, but that is simply a guess.

I have hard, alkaline water at 80 degrees in gravel with one step up from whatever stock light came with my 10 gallon kit. (not spectacular but good enough for anacharis apparently) I have to trim it my anacharis stalks about 3 inches weekly to keep it from growing above the waterline.
Your problem seems weird to me. I keep killing amazon sword though which I thought was supposed to be low maintenance :nono:

I have hard, alkaline water at 80 degrees in gravel with one step up from whatever stock light came with my 10 gallon kit. (not spectacular but good enough for anacharis apparently) I have to trim it my anacharis stalks about 3 inches weekly to keep it from growing above the waterline.
Your problem seems weird to me. I keep killing amazon sword though which I thought was supposed to be low maintenance :nono:

haha my amazon swords to great. funny how different people have different problems... TRY JAVA FERN... THAT WILL GROW GREAT IN YOUR TANK, AMAZON SWORDS NEED MORE LIGHT AND CARE THAN JAVA FERN..

i dont dose much fertilizers when i do.. less than recommended.. but that could be a possibility

and i did remove the "leaves" at the bottom because i know they will rot.. i already experienced that with 3 other types of plants, i guess you learn as you go.

Anacharis is a VERY high light plant. It will do fairly well as a floater where the entire plant can get light. You just need to make sure it doesn't start growing to much and crowding out the light for the plants below.
Gypsy

Really?! I have it growing in buckets and an outside, undercover tank without issue. It grows so fast it takes over my goldfish tanks before they get a chance to eat it. I have hard water and highish pH.

I had problems also. Then I found out that there are 2 primary types that are sold. One is a Cool water plant and the other is a Warm water type.It pays to do reasearch.

If I read correctly, the 50/50 lights are probably part of the problem. A regular 6500K or 5000K type would probably work better. As already mentioned, anacharis does better in cooler water.

I swear whats up with this plant. I have the same problem. Its growing on the top but dying in the bottom. It is evening budding on the side. My other plants which are smaller are not melting.

I just cant grow it either. Just a bit sad. I tried 3 or 4 stalks at one point.

It was the very first plant I tried, and I gave up on plants for a while.

I probably will never try it again :\

Excel can kill anacharis if the plant is not properly acclimated to it. Half dose to start and don't dose directly onto the plant or into it's flow of water. Try mixing the excel and tank water in a cup first and then pour it in.

I didn't see anyone comment on this post? Blert pretty much told you what's happening. Excel will distroy anacharis just like you discribe. I even tried it myself many years ago and within days it turned brown and died.

Back
Top Bottom