Why do my vals grow so short?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an unknown species of val that when I purchased had leaves about 1.5 feet long. Flash forward 9 months and after pruning and general maintenance all I am left with is a jungle of vals about 4 inches in length. They look more like a carpeting plant than anything else. Anyone know why? I read somewhere long ago that if you left the plants connected they would grow more runners than leaves. Not sure how accurate that is though lol.

I've always wanted an easy carpeting plant but not along the back of my tank where I can't see it lol.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Tank specs
50 gallon long
Dual t5ho (currently only running one bulb 28w)
Eco complete
Root tabs
Excel
No other liquid or dry ferts

My first guess would be the lighting. Perhaps you can add a second t5 bulb and see if there is a change in growth.

I have the opposite deal. Two batches of dwarf sag from different growers. Was looking for a carpeting plant. One is about 4-7" tall and the other is 8-12". Tank is a 20g long so it's not that tall (taller ones trail along the surface). Using a Finnex FugeRay, root tabs monthly, excel daily (sometimes), flourish comp weekly, DIY CO2.

I actually normally run both bulbs but was experimenting the last couple of months to see if the lower light would make them reach further up and grow taller. It kinda worked with my crypts, they got about an inch taller and broader leaves. So far no dice with the vals though lol.

I'm interested in some dwarf sag myself. Hope I don't have your problem when I finally get some! Lol

I've heard dosing with excel will hurt vals, but I'm not sure if they would just grow shorter, something to look into maybe

Still looking for some opinions from vallisneria keepers.

I have not grown any vals since the early 90s and it was a different type (Crystal River) which easily grew 4+ feet in my 55g planted tank.
You should be okay with excel just ease into (lower dose and work your way up).
I read a post from a Val owner that it may take a few months for them to become established. You can PM Rivercats for Val advice.

Thanks for the info.

I've actually been keeping the vals for 9 months dosing excel the whole time. Didn't experience any meltdown just having trouble growing them taller than 4 inches.

Can you post a picture? A misidentified plant is a real possibility (eg, Dwarf sag, chain sword, etc).

Can you post a picture? A misidentified plant is a real possibility (eg, Dwarf sag, chain sword, etc).

Yeah, what he said :)
What I thought was dwarf sag was actually broadleaf chain sword (for about 8 months). After posting pics the true identity was revealed.

These were the best I was able to take with my cell phone. The original 4 plants I purchased all were 1.5 feet long prior to pruning and removing dead leaves over the last 9 months. The last long leaves I removed about 4 months ago.

(I don't know why they're posting sideways. In the files themselves the pics are right side up lol)
39992-albums2114-picture62475.jpg
39992-albums2114-picture62476.jpg

Almost definitely not vals. I'm pretty sure they're a sagittaria species, maybe Sagittaria platyphylla but also possibly subulata.

The only thing I can think of is that have adapted to the conditions (lights, ferts) available to them. They appear to be doing well.

Dwarf sag can grow as low as 2-3" or as high as 16-20" depending on lighting and how thick it grows. As 'carpeting' is a characteristically thick growth, I don't think it's a good plant for the role. I love it as a foreground/midground though.

Back
Top Bottom