Why no Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LostInFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 150 gallon planted with tiger lotus's and Amazon swords also have Malasian drift wood with some Texas holy rock,a lot of fish with temp at 84•. I have a fluval 404 and 305 along with 1 large 1 med sponge filter been up and running about 1 yr never see any nitrates always at 0 ppm. Sometimes there will be a lil ammonia in there like .25 ppm I do 3 water changes a week my fish And plants are growing great sometimes I get algae on the glass . Any ideas on why no nitrates ever its like my tank never cycled lol

Attachments

• image-1501516612.jpg
    image-1501516612.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 50
  • image-2901184697.jpg
    image-2901184697.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 48
Here is a updated picture of the tank

Attachments

• image-2761029232.jpg
    image-2761029232.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 49
The same thing happend to me. Im guessing you are using the API fresh water master test kit. Apparently you have to shake up the little bottle with the chemicals in them a whole bunch before you do the test.

The same thing happend to me. Im guessing you are using the API fresh water master test kit. Apparently you have to shake up the little bottle with the chemicals in them a whole bunch before you do the test.

Really I will try the test again lol I do shake them just not a lot

MM.
Count your blessings, I guess. I have the same problem, very low NO3. I have a heavily planted tank with PLENTY of fish and still I need more NO3 for my plants. In fact I'm having to increae PPS pro nitrate dosing to keep my plants healthy. Looks like you have planty of light so I guess your plants are using what NO3 is being produced. What do you have as far as media in your filters? Any type of chemical media packets? OS

You use exactly what I do. You have some really healthy looking plants, congrats. With really good light consider getting a macro fert like flourish +N or similar product, dose as is says to and test right before your weekly PWC. See if NO3 gets to around 10 - 20 ppm. If still low, add a ml or two more each dose or less if NO3 is above 20 ppm. For a really balanced fert for your plants you need nitrate, posphorus, potassium and trace element ferets. You can go with a liquid fert regimine or check out PPS-Pro dry fert "mix your own ferts. (much cheaper). Why do you do 3 WC's a week if you have such low NO3? OS.

Try and use as much bio media as you can get in your filter. I added an HOB (Aqua clear 50) extra filter to my 29g tank(Fluval 206 is main filter) and put in all bio beads on top of foam for extra Ammo conversion. Worked like a charm. OS.

THat's the best and cheapest first try IMO. If you could get down to 1 PWC a week it would make life alot easier for you. That much WC's for years to come is gonna get pretty tiresome! OS.

THat's the best and cheapest first try IMO. If you could get down to 1 PWC a week it would make life alot easier for you. That much WC's for years to come is gonna get pretty tiresome! OS.

Hey here is a question for u. Why no algae in my other tank my nitrates are high? Is it because I don't use a light on that tank?

Nitrates alone won't cause algae. High phosphate and too much light on for too long is the most common reason for algae. No light means no source of photosynthesis energy for any plant/algae growth. OS.

Back
Top Bottom