why so small?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timwag2001

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i notice that a lot of the tanks that are talked about in the aquascaping forum are small. 5g, 10g maybe 20g. is there a reason for it?

Probably the cost of lights.........

I don't have one.. just a guess

Reasons why I picked a small tank:

-Easier to scape.
-Like said above, light cost is cheaper, but you can avoid light cost easily buy just getting shop lights for cheap, just won't look as good.
-Small planted tanks are fun.
-Cost less overall.
-Better for beginers I think.

Hope that gives you an idea :D I'm thinking about planting my 55G later on.

Right now I'm using the 10 as a sort of learning tank? Trying to get a better understanding of ferts co2 good fish. what looks good etc. The more experienced and more funded people have larger tanks. check out aquascapingworld.com and you will see some uber crazy stuff

I think that the right small tank can be amazing if scaped well. My LFS has some absolutely incredible nano ADA cube gardens. They look like "little worlds" of their own...I went with a small tank to try and duplicate 1 of their tanks, and so far I have failed miserably. But -- it was also cost. I wanted a really slick setup to put my RCS/CRS in, and the ADA equipment gets astronomical in cost as you move up in size.

most people start with smaller tanks when they are ready to move up to bigger tanks they know what they are doing so dont have questions...

personally i think bigger tanks are a lot more easier to work with then smaller tanks.

Bigger tanks are easier to keep balanced as far as ferts/lighting/CO2 goes, but small tanks are much easier to prune, change aquascapes, water changes etc. And cheaper, too, but you're limited with what plants will fit in a smaller tank. So there are pros and cons to both sides.

wow! a rhode islander! thats where i'm originally from.

my focal point in my house is a 55 and i really want to get that going because its the most important. but i kinda envy the smaller tanks that i've seen around here. i'm very impressed

I personally like small (quarter gallon) aquascapes better than almost any other size. To me, they represent a lot of work going into something that doesn't look like it was a lot of work at all, like a bonzai tree.

I personally like small (quarter gallon) aquascapes better than almost any other size. To me, they represent a lot of work going into something that doesn't look like it was a lot of work at all, like a bonzai tree.

Yes! A good aquascape in a small tank takes a lot of painstaking work to make it look just right.

Size

Personally, I like smaller tanks. I have been through a bunch of tanks. Smallest was 2 gallons, largest was 55. I have found that smaller is much easier to prune, wc, etc. Larger is easier to maintain water composition (and ferts). I gave up on the 55 and now I have two 3 gallon tanks and four 10 gallon tanks.

Back
Top Bottom