Why split the photo period?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your fish would never sleep if the light was coming on every 2 hours through out the night. My plants seem to grow more during the night

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm just wondering what the best siesta period is. What does Aquascaping master Amano use in his tanks? Anyone know?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My lights are on 8-11 am and 3-8 pm and my plants are growing great

I was just reading other planted forums and majority (based on polls) seem to believe that siesta period has no effect on algae and that total photoperiod is what matters the most. They cite that Amano does not use any siesta period but instead uses a ramp up and ramp down lighting intensity simulating the natural rise and fall of sunlight intensity.

I was just reading other planted forums and many (majority) seem to believe that siesta period has no effect on algae and that total photoperiod is what matters the most. They cite that Amano does not use any siesta period but instead uses a ramp up and ramp down lighting intensity simulating the natural rise and fall of sunlight intensity.

Majority of people dont have the option of a ramp up/ramp down. This is why they use the siesta period

Majority of people dont have the option of a ramp up/ramp down. This is why they use the siesta period

But is it true that nobody has ever tested the algae effect of siesta period versus no siesta (same total photoperiod)? I'm in disbelief that this has never been tested considering that algae is a major problem in the hobby.

I'm told that your plants need at least one 4 hour photoperiod ( continuous) for photosynthesis.

I use 2-3 hours on then 4 hours on later.

I split mine for
A. Too keep lights off during hottest part of the day.
B. So I can check my fish in the morning before work and in the evening before I go to bed. Lights on when I'm home so I can enjoy my tank

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2-3 times as large. Is there anything I can do? I really like the goldfish, and I'd hate to give them up, but I would like some more fish.

Boom, I'm in the same boat.. it suits my life and the needs of my plants..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

After 15mins of my lights coming on, the majority of my plants start pearling.

Pearling is a sign that plants are producing oxygen faster than it can be absorbed into the water.

Seeing as oxygen is a byproduct of photosynthesis, im struggling to believe it takes at least 4 hours for the process to start.

Im happy with my 3 hours on, 3 hours off, 3 hours on cycle. Plants look great and algae is very little.

When i used to run my bml xb for a continuous 6 hour period i did have a fight with BBA and GDA algae. This is the only evidence i need for me to think split photoperiods are a good thing. Plus there are many other people on this forum with stunning tanks also using them.

At the end of the day, experiment with it yourself

3 hours on, 3 hours off, 3 hours on cycle. Plants look great and algae is very little.

When i used to run my bml xb for a continuous 6 hour period i did have a fight with BBA and GDA algae.

That observation is proof enough for me! :)

I also got a bml xb, still being assembled in factory. How much par do you have in your tank that is requiring the 6 hrs total photoperiod? Just wondering if I should copy your timings when my bml xb arrives. I'm anticipating 85-95 par for my tank height, with pressurized CO2 of course.

I'm thinking that fish and plants require a several hour period to totally relax and shutdown/recharge. I believe plant growth also occurs during non-light periods as well. IMO the 2 on/off schedule would do more harm than good.

Might shorten the life of your bulbs too.

I go with 2 hrs 7-9am then off until 5pm, where they stay on till midnight.

Edit: running T8s so can afford a little longer I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice assuming the app didn't crash.

Back
Top Bottom