Why wait?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquafreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi.

Why is it recommended to wait 6 weeks before adding in 'live' aquatic plants to your aquarium? Is this necessary even if you have no fish yet?

Thanks in advance.

The plants need food to live off, too. The micronutrients need time ti build uo in the tank, as well as the fish waste that the plants live off of. If you have no fish, you probably don't need to wait that long, but the plants will most likely die unless you have fertilizer for them and some sort of plant-friendly substarate (like laterite or fluorite intended for aquarium use). If you let us know what exactly you're hoping to do, maybe we can help more. What kind of tank setup do you have, how many gallons, what kind of lighting, are you planning on CO2 injection? What kind of plants are you interested in getting and do you plan on adding fish eventually? What kind? :D

Ummm, really nothing too fancy... I'm a novice who's just getting started.

I bought a small potted underwater plant which I have now placed in a 42 gallon hexagonal tank. The aquarium is new and clean, I have treated the water for chlorine (tap water), started a stress zyme treatment, aeration, and heat. The water is slightly cloudy which I suspect is from a bacterial bloom of some sort or the plant. Maybe I should have added in ammonia?

Either way, if I can get the water safe for a few small fish, I will add them very soon.

Does this help?

I'm really not sure where you read that, aquafreak. I don't believe anyone here would have told you to wait 6 weeks. Nejsux makes good points about a possible reason to wait (no nutrients), but most folks here just plant from the git-go. Her quaetions are very good also, come back with the answers to them and we'll be more than happy to help you get started.

I started from scratch a few days back. Clean gravel, clean (incorrectly) objects, 1 small plant, with the tap water treated for chlorine and chemicals (Fresh Start), and a bit of Stress Zyme. The filter is fresh and the water is recently changed. I do however, have a slight bit of cloudy water. Is this due to the plant or bacteria? Is it safe to add fish?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showfaq.php?fldAuto=2

Go to the freshwater articles in the above link, and read "the nitrogen cycle" and "PH and general water conditions" first off. That is a good basis to start with. Since you seem to be interested in planted tanks, "planted tank basics" would be a good one to read also.

Since you did realize that cloudy water may be a bacterial bloom (newbies don't usually know that), I'm a tad confused at your background knowledge, so please don't be insulted if I'm referring you to things you already know.

My number one most important piece of advice is : Research before you buy! Since you already have tank, heater, filter, I'll assume you'd be best off researching what types of fish and plants you want. Look into care requirements(water conditions, compatability, and size when full-grown) for any fish/plants you want before going to the fish store. Rely on your research over store employees advice. Chances are not that great that you will get good advice at the store.

Once we have a better idea of what you are shooting for, we can give you more specific answers.

sounds like you might have new tank syndrome (allege bloom). it has happened to me before. with my 30 gallon before i added fish i had nothing but live plants in the tank. I got 3 tiger barbs and did a 30% water change and a few days later my water cleared up.

You defiantly want to get yourself some type of fertilizer for your plants. weather it is substrate or a liquid that you put in every so offten. my plants love it when i fertilize them you can tell they have a major growth spirt (O: and from what i have found most fish LOVE plants. They make great homes, teratories, places to play and food for some fish.

Thanks everybody :)

I think that the 'light' cloudiness is either a bloom or a chemical imbalance. The later most likely. This should clear up naturally I believe?

I've decided to do a 30% water change, add some more Start Fresh (whole tank worth), and try a few more plants with some substrate fertilizer for the next 2 weeks. I'll test the ammonia levels and let things settle a bit and then introduce some catfish/suckers/snails later on with some Stress Zyme. If this goes well, I'll start stocking a few weeks after this.

What if you added Stress Zyme and there wasn't much ammonia? Would it cloud the water? Can you overdose Stress Zyme?

Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom