Why won't my Amazon swords grow??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keegster803

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I have 4 Amazon sword plants that i have had for 6 months, and they haven't grown tall, anyone know why? I'm dosing with excel, flourish, Leaf Zone, and Seachem root tabs. Anyone got some advise? And I just upgraded to double bright LEDs

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Maybe try osmocote roy tabs?

Have they grown at all?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

first of all those aren't Amazon swords, they look more like rubin swords and they don't usually get as big but they are still smaller then they could be.
like the first person said try adding some root tabs under it and it may help it along.
also the light may prevent it from growing to a monster if it is not very bright.

Yeah, those are red rubins, not Amazon swords. How tall is your tank?

I'd bump up the lighting if you can. Also, I used to use Seachem root tabs and they were awful for me. Actually used them on two red rubins, one ended up dying, the other held on. Search for Mebbid's DIY root tabs on here, you can make your own and they have worked a lot better than the Seachem ones. Plus they're a lot cheaper.

I just got some Double Bright LEDs, are these alright for the plants?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They have a different spectrum designed to grow plants, is that good? Or should I just get t5s?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What brand are they? When someone mentions dbl bright I immediately think of marineland and they don't grow plants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What brand are they? When someone mentions dbl bright I immediately think of marineland and they don't grow plants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1. Marineland are good for lowlight plants such as Anubias, but Anubias can be grown under candlelight so it really doesn't say much about the Marinelands. If I were you I'd look into fluorescents or Finnex Planted+

Back
Top Bottom