Will all of these plants work in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone! I am getting very excited about putting in a plant order that has a lot different colors and leave shapes. I was wondering if all of these plants would work in my tank:

Rotala rotundifolia
Hygrophilia pinnatifida
Dwarf Baby Tears (will be attached to driftwood)
Broadleaf Chainsword
Staurogyne repens
Marsilea crenata
Crypt Parva
Anubias nana "Petite"
Anubias "Nangi"
Cryptocoryne petchii
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'brown'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'red'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Florida Sunset'
Hygrophilia Salcifolia
Crinum calamistratum
Java Moss
Crypt Parva
Blood Stargrass
Red Tiger Lotus
Crypt Spiralis
Potamogeton gayi
Echinodorus angustifolia "Vesuvius"
Mexican Oak Leaf
Stargrass
Crytocoryne Balansae
Cyperus helferi
Downoi

I won't be ordering all of these plants of course as it would cost a fortune. Which plants will work? Which plants won't? Feel free to leave other suggestions too! It's greatly appreciated!

Here are my lighting facts:
I have an AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp that has 1 36" 39W 650nm Pink Roseate bulb and 1 36" 39W 6,000°K
bulb.

Other facts: I use the PPS-Pro method of fertilization and Flourish Excel as a liquid carbon. My lights are on for 8 or so hours a day.

What size tank is this?

My only thought would be to nix the anubias as they can sometimes melt when you dose with excel.

What size tank is this?

My only thought would be to nix the anubias as they can sometimes melt when you dose with excel.

My tank size is 36" by 12" by 16" (30 gallons). I never knew that excel could melt Anubias. That might explain why my Anubias Nana isn't doing to well, even though it is a hardy low light plant.

You should be able to grow all of those. I would increase the dosage of excel though. It might be worth looking into buying a gallon of metricide 14 day sterilizing solution. It is the same stuff as excel although it's 2x as powerful.

You should be able to grow all of those. I would increase the dosage of excel though. It might be worth looking into buying a gallon of metricide 14 day sterilizing solution. It is the same stuff as excel although it's 2x as powerful.

That's good. I don't know if I would like to make my own liquid carbon, but I'll think about it. I'll need to limit my plant list a bit. Here are my rankings of my plant list (from my most favorite to least favorite):

1. Crinum calamistratum
2. Hygrophilia pinnatifida
3. Dwarf Baby Tears (will be on driftwood)
4. Rotala Wallichi and/or Rotala rotundifolia
5. Cryptocoryne wendtii 'brown'
6. Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Florida Sunset'
7. Cryptocoryne petchii
8. Pogostemon stellatus "Broad Leaf"
9. Red Tiger Lotus
10. Blood Stargrass
11. Stargrass
12. Cryptocoryne Balansae
13. Echinodorus angustifolia "Vesuvius"
14. Potamogeton gayi
15. Java Moss (on driftwood)
16. Staurogyne repens or Crypt Parva or Four Leaf Clover and Dwarf Hairgrass
17. Anubias nana "Petite"
18. Crypt Spiralis
19. Broadleaf Chainsword
20. Cyperus helferi
21. Mexican Oak Leaf
22. Anubias "Nangi"

I don't have experience with most of these plants, but I have two types of Cryptocoryne now that are growing very well. My Dwarf Hairgrass is starting to spread runners too. If you have anything to say about some of these plants, I would appreciate it! Thanks

That's a great list of plants. A lot of them are ones I keep myself as well as quite a few of them are on my most wanted list.

The stargrass is the fastest growing plant I own. It really can take over a tank ins a very short amount of time. The same goes for the Mexican oak leaf.

If you go with the metricide you don't have to do anything special to it aside from dosing half as much as you would of excel. There's really no reason not to use that imho.

That's a great list of plants. A lot of them are ones I keep myself as well as quite a few of them are on my most wanted list.

The stargrass is the fastest growing plant I own. It really can take over a tank ins a very short amount of time. The same goes for the Mexican oak leaf.

If you go with the metricide you don't have to do anything special to it aside from dosing half as much as you would of excel. There's really no reason not to use that imho.

I'll definitely be getting Stargrass and Mexican Oak Leaf then. I'll probably limit my list down to 14 plants.

Alright, I have changed up my plant list up a bit. Here it is:

Riccia Fluitans (will either be a floating plant or will be attached to driftwood)
Rotala Wallichi
Hygrophilia pinnatifida
Dwarf Baby Tears (will be attached to driftwood or possibly lava rock)
Marsilea crenata (this plant is just cool)
Anubias nana "Petite" (will be attached to driftwood)
Cryptocoryne petchii
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'brown'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Florida Sunset'
Crinum calamistratum
Java Moss (will be attached to lava rock or driftwood)
Blood Stargrass
Red Tiger Lotus
Mexican Oak Leaf
Stargrass
Bolbitis heudelotii
Dwarf Hairgrass (I'm trying really hard to make a carpet out of this, and I'll need some more of it)

Back
Top Bottom