Will anubias roots grow into a new plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PerfectDepth

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Some time ago after trimming some anubias roots, I put a couple pieces into another tank as an experiment. The sections of root are alive and slowly growing, but will they ever form a new rhizome and leaves?

I read the clipping has to have at least in leaf on it in order to take root. But I'm pretty new to plants. I've never tried it with mine.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I estimate it has been approx. 1 year since they were cut, and they haven't died yet. If they were unable to regenerate, I would've guessed they should be dead by now. The roots have now grown down into the substrate, and also latched onto a nearby rock, with no sign of slowing down, but no sign of a new growth point either. Hmm...

Wow, well that's encouraging. So I'm sure you've tried all the frets to get leaves and such? Do you have a low light in your tank?

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No rhizome, just roots. They're in a low-light tank with no ferts other than a weekly dose of Flourish Comprehensive (micro)

I estimate it has been approx. 1 year since they were cut, and they haven't died yet. If they were unable to regenerate, I would've guessed they should be dead by now. The roots have now grown down into the substrate, and also latched onto a nearby rock, with no sign of slowing down, but no sign of a new growth point either. Hmm...

I may have to try this as a way of adding green "vine" to some driftwood. I don't know if you will ever see the plant develop leaves if it hasn't after 1 year but it was an interesting experiment.

Back
Top Bottom