Will BBA ever leave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Will BBA ever leave if it's on existing leaves? I know to cut them off at the stem BUT these are crypts with one to three leaves each and I'm about to just lose all my plants if I do that at this point. SO my question is if I ever get my balance correct, of light, ferts, etc, in theory, would the BBA die on the leaves?

Thanks

I don't think it will up and leave of its own accord, but it can be coerced off with chemical means (Excel or H2O2).

I don't think it will up and leave of its own accord, but it can be coerced off with chemical means (Excel or H2O2).

Correct. I've had more success just overdosing Excel than spot treating but to each their own. I could be wrong but crypts are one of those plants that don't react well with excel? I had an infestation that was pretty much eliminated thanks to a few light/ferts factors and excel.

Excel specifically doesn't cause crypts to melt, but any dramatic change in water condition can cause mass crypt melt, including introduction of Excel. Unlike other plants that are potentially sensitive to Excel, they should bounce right back.

I'd spot treat them with H2O2. Are you still continuing to get new BBA or is it just the old stuff hanging around?

Old stuff hanging around at this point. That's why I was wondering if over time it'd eventually lose to the plants taking it's nutrient and slowly die. I think I have the lighting finally balanced so there's nothing new. It's just the old stuff doesn't look so great. Pulling them out to wipe with clorox isn't an option as just getting the plants to establish was an effort and I don't want to change anything as to avoid melt. I guess my options are excel and H202 if running it's course and leaving on it's own isn't gonna ever happen.

I'd spot treat with H2O2 on your next WC. I found spot treating is easy during a WC since the filters are already off. Usually within 24 hours after spot treating the BBA will start turning white, pink, or red which means it's dying.

Thank you for the advice. Do you happen to know a safe level of H202 for this since I have two discus in there?

1-3ml of Peroxide to every gallon of water. You can go with the lower amount. Just be sure to turn your filters off for 20 minutes during treatment.

Something so remember is that H2O2 is short lived in an aquarium. If you spot dose in a still aquarium (ie, no current, filters/powerheads off), then the concentration is very high at the treated location, but very low elsewhere. If you let it sit for a long time, then most of it should be gone by the time you mix it back in.

At the same time even with your crypts only having one to three leaves trimming helps promote new growth so as long as your crypts have good roots then trimming a leaf or two will actually encourage te plant to put the extra energy into a new leaf

Back
Top Bottom