Will Brown/Discolored water effect plant growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartyMA

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 6 gallon fluval edge has been cycling for about a week now. My first planting was a disaster with all of the java moss dying and the crypts turning into nothing but roots. Fortunately, the crypts are coming back. My question is concerning the tinted water from driftwood. I had to finally remove the small piece I had in the tank since it just would not stop leeching. It is in the toilet tank now. I really want to add it back in. After many water changes, the tank is much clearer. Do the plants suffer due to the brown water? The led lights are weak as it is and my black substrate does not brighten things up at all. It just looks dark in there.

Please advise.:thanks:

MartyMA said:
My 6 gallon fluval edge has been cycling for about a week now. My first planting was a disaster with all of the java moss dying and the crypts turning into nothing but roots. Fortunately, the crypts are coming back. My question is concerning the tinted water from driftwood. I had to finally remove the small piece I had in the tank since it just would not stop leeching. It is in the toilet tank now. I really want to add it back in. After many water changes, the tank is much clearer. Do the plants suffer due to the brown water? The led lights are weak as it is and my black substrate does not brighten things up at all. It just looks dark in there.

Please advise.:thanks:

I don't think the tannins will harm plants at all . I know they don't harm fish , some fish even prefer black water tanks .
Have you boiled the DW instead of soaking it? I boiled my DW for a day changing the water as soon as it became tea colored . I have several large pieces (too large for my biggest pot) so I put them in my sink and kept adding boiling water .
When I added them to my tank , they did leech slightly (not much) and I am running purigen I'm my filter which helps clear it up . http://thefishtankplace.com/decorate-your-aquarium-with-driftwood/

Tannins are harmless. PWC's will help to clear it up.

Crypts are low light plants and since you said yours is coming back, I wouldn't worry about the tannins darkening the water too much.

In your case, if your DW is still leaching tannins, I'd say boil it for about 30min - 1hr. Let the water boil, dump it when it browns, refill and boil again. That'll help the wood leach the tannins faster.

Back
Top Bottom