Will the T-8 bulbs in this fixture support Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FSEMTB2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Will these bulbs be sufficent for a planted tank?

TRIPLE TUBE
High Performance Strip-Lights

Our new Triple Tube Strip-Lights are the latest design and feature an electronic ballast that is C UL® US Listed. The Triple Tube Strip-Lights use 50% less electricity compared to equivalent light powered by standard magnetic ballasts. Lamps also run more efficiently. A 10 - 22% more light output is generated compared to standard magnetic ballasts! Triple Tube Strip-Lights run cooler, 60 % less heat also compared to standard magnetic ballasts. Aquarium lamps have no more flicker and start instantly which can extend lamp life by 50%. The Triple Tube Strip-Lights are designed for use with T-8 ( 1" Dia. ) aquarium lamps.

Three T-8 aquarium lamps are included with each All-Glass Triple Tube Strip-Light and are for a Fresh/Saltwater light spectrum. Perfect for All-Glass, Zoo Med™, GE™, Sylvania™ and Arcadia™ T-8 aquarium lamps. You can mix and match different light spectrums for your aquatic setup.

Not sure which bulbs it comes with, but T8 Philips Daylight deluxe (great for plants) can be had for less then 5$ a piece from home depot.

Not necessarily, tri-phosphor bulbs are better at this, Philips natural sunshine and daylight deluxe are 2 good bulbs. most of the ones from the fish store, albeit expensive, will work as well. Ideally, a spectrum between 4100K and 10000K is best.

My question is what size tank and what length bulbs. While three T8 bulbs should be plenty on a smaller tank, they may not be enough over a larger tank.

How about on a 75 gallon tank? I was looking at this same fixture for mine

T8's still take a fair amount of space. I made a custom canopy, w/ 1 T12 1T8 )you can run one of each off a magnetic ballast) 2 x 2 ODNO T8's (that's equiv. to 3 T8's) and an additional T8, for a total effective of 5 T8's 1 T12 and it took the whole top of the tank. just recently replaced all that with a 4x 65w CF fixture and I have the glass tops back on now. The lighting is higher now.

Anybody else care to give an opinion about this light on 75 Gallon Tank?

Okay if we're talking about a 75 gallon then we'd be looking at three 48" bulbs. These will be 40 watts each max, which would give you a max of 120 watts with three bulbs. This would give you medium light over that tank and allow you to grow a variety of plants with minimal maintainance.

Purrbox said:
Okay if we're talking about a 75 gallon then we'd be looking at three 48" bulbs. These will be 40 watts each max, which would give you a max of 120 watts with three bulbs. This would give you medium light over that tank and allow you to grow a variety of plants with minimal maintainance.

Would I need to dose ferts or add CO2 ?

CO2 generally isn't required until you get to somewhere between medium and medium high light, so you will probably be fine without it.

In low maintenance tanks it's usually only necessary to dose traces and potassium about once a week, unless you find that your Nitrates or Phosphates are bottoming out then you would need to dose those as well. This depends largely on how densely the tank is planted and how high the bioload is.

You will only get anywhere from 75watt to 90 watts from this fixture. If you are talking about the 36".

Back
Top Bottom