Will this work? --- CO2 system Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks I really need to keep it simple as it can be. Is there anything else I will need

I'd definately invest in a good stainless steel check valve if you don't already have one.

Or brass works well too for CO2.

The plastic cheap-o ones will work as well, btw, but the CO2 will eventually degrade them to where they fail open and don't do anything for you anymore.

That is pretty expensive. You could buy the regulator with a solenoid valve,bubble counter and needle valve. Then get a drop checker,diffuser,and tubing for less than what you linked. That is all you need. The PH indicator is unnecessary IMO. If you use a timer for the solenoid valve, and shut it off when the lights are off, it works just fine.

Here are some links for the stuff you will need.
Milwaukee CO2 Regulator Needle / Solenoid Valve

CO2 glass diffuser items - Get great deals on Pet Supplies, Home Garden items on eBay.com!

glass drop checker items - Get great deals on Pet Supplies, drop checker items on eBay.com!

Bobs Tropical Plants

Look on Craigslist for CO2 bottles. You can get them a lot cheaper that way. If you are going to hide it, there is no reason to have a stainless steel tank.

It will definitely work. I prefer using the SMS122 or similar pH controller to using a timer, especially on that large of a tank. It will conserve a lot of co2, and keep you perfectly balanced. Granted, CO2 is cheap, but changing it out frequently is a pain in the rear. If you have the money, I would definitely go for the pH controller. Also consider going for the 10 lb tank instead of 5 if you have the space for it. With the 5 on a 100gal tank, I would think you would be looking at refilling about every 5-6 weeks or so.

With a 100 gal tank I would also not recommend using a glass diffuser. You want to use a powered or inline reactor. If you went with a glass diffuser instead, you would need at least a couple of them.

Again, I would say if you have the money to invest, what you picked out will work great.

1 word of caution: Check your local CO2 supplier to make sure they actually fill tanks, and don't just exchange them. Otherwise, the first time you go to fill it up, you may be turning in your brand new shiny aluminum tank for something that is of much lower quality. If all you have a available is an exchange, you may want to forgo buying the tank online and just pick a used one up on your first trip to the CO2 distributor.

If money is not a issue, look into what these guys have.

Home - SuMo CO2 Regulators for Planted and Reef Aquariums

Planted Aquarium Products | CO2 Regulator | Green Leaf Aquariums

I did not realize you had a 100g. A glass diffuser would be pointless on that size of tank, unless you purchased a gang valve,and had 3 or 4 of them. If you are using a canister filter, you could run it through that. Or you could purchase or make a CO2 reactor.

How To Build A CO2 Reactor | Build a Regulator | Test Kit

CO2 Reactor 1000

CO2 reactors are the best option IMO. They will not leave micro bubbles in your tank like the glass diffusers will.

Get as big of a bottle as you can easily hide. Re-filling can be a pain. I would get a 20 pound if I were you. If there is a welding supply store near you,they will usually exchange tanks with you. This way there is no reason to purchase a shiny new one,that does the exact same thing. Holds gas. Purchasing a shiny new bottle is a waste, IMO.

The system you linked will work just fine,but is overpriced. There are better set ups out there IMO.

In the area you live in, I'm sure you can find a supplier to refill your own tank. If the first place you go to wants to switch tanks, look elsewhere. Beer making suppliers, welding shops, fire extinguisher shops; paint gun suppliers and many hardware stores sell co2, some refill tanks, some don't, but there are a large number of suppliers out there.

Places that will exchange tanks, should also re-fill them for you. There are several where I live that do both.

Thanks everyone I hope to be purchasing this set up soon I am going to try to make everything as simple as possible so I am still saving up a little more.

Hey Fort do you think they would sell the system with out the co2 tank? I have never ordered from these guys before. Does anyone know?

If it were me, I would buy the sms122 pH Controller and Ma957 Regulator combo (they have a pretty good price here, and I have ordered many items from them in the past with no issues).

Then I would build the Rex Grigg inline CO2 reactor (assuming you have a canister filter), which would only cost a few dollars with parts from home depot or lowes.

Then I would go to a local welding supply company and see what the initial charge would be to get the largest tank you can fit in your cabinet. If the tank is hidden, no sense buying a new one if they do exchanges. The initial price to get a used tank will be lower than buying a shiny new aluminum one, and there after you would just exchange empty for full for just the price of the CO2 (which is pretty cheap).

Back
Top Bottom