Wisteria advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After reading this thread about a week or so ago, although not too bad I was experiencing some algae growth. The green really short, almost like a dark green tennis ball fuzz kind. It was annoying me. Growing on a couple of my sword leaves and on top of a cave type decoration - all right under the light. I was trying to be careful with not putting hardly any of the flourish excel (liquid carbon) in because I was afraid it would damage my dwarf sag and corkscrew vals...but I figured I would give it a shot. I added one capful for my 75 gal about every day or two. It has definitely worked on cutting down some of the algae growth, so I am thankful to you all.

My next step will most likely be to set up the light on a timer, since it only has one programmed sunrise/sunset time...But it might be a pain if I have to re-set the time/schedule/intensities again by cutting the power. I'll have to look into it. Otherwise, I'll just use the low-intensity light that came with the tank in the morning and have the sunrise be set for around noon to cut down on the photoperiod.

Great insight - thanks for sharing and providing updates!

You're welcome. Start of with your lowest light and continue to add liquid carbon. You need to do it daily. Unstable access to carbon can be just as bad for plants as having little carbon at all. Keep to about 8 hours a day lighting no more. You can then play around with light intensity. If you turn it up too much you will find you will need to add more carbon to offset poor growth and keep algae at bay. Get it to a level where you are adding as much liquid carbon as you are willing coupled with the intensity of light that gives your desired results in terms of plant growth speed and health. Any deficiencies that don't include loss of structure and stunting are likely to be mineral deficiencies and will most likely show in new leaves. Nitrogen, phosphate and magnesium are extremely important and are needed in quantities larger than others so bare in mind these MAY need to be added at some point. Green spot algae on leaves is known to be caused by low phosphate levels etc. Remove older leaves that are algae covered. Trim and replant stems and rosettes regularly. Keep up on water changes and you should have a healthy looking tank in no time.

Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I should have enough surface agitation between my hob and powerhead located in the bottom right corner of the tank. Seeing as it's a tall tank that was one of my huge dead spots. It's pointed straight up and actual helps a lot.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Excellent. Diana Walstad recently quoted that her tanks have been suffering from lack of oxygen and now insists that the reason most folk struggle with her set up is because of lack of gas exchange and water movement. Apparently in stagnated water with no flow, it takes 6 years for oxygen to travel 6 meters! Not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom