Wisteria isnt growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfan321

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was told by my lfs that wisteria grows like a weed and if you have cichlids it is your best bet for a planted tank. I bought it and it isn't growing, at all. Actually, it's dying. One of my plants died leaf by leaf and the other is still alive but losing leaves. it is a 30 gal long, 20watt lighting, has a blue lobster, melanochromis auratis, african butterfly fish, and a SMALL common pleco. I have gravel substrate

What kind of lighting is it? (type of bulb, color temp of bulb). How long per day are you lighting the tank? Is the wisteria showing any signs of distress, or is it just not growing?

How long has it been in the tank?

20W isn't much light, so even if all the other factors are right, you may not see much growth out of it with less than 1WPG on a 30 gal tank. I would call wisteria a medium light plant... you have very low light.

fort384 said:
What kind of lighting is it? (type of bulb, color temp of bulb). How long per day are you lighting the tank? Is the wisteria showing any signs of distress, or is it just not growing?

How long has it been in the tank?

20W isn't much light, so even if all the other factors are right, you may not see much growth out of it with less than 1WPG on a 30 gal tank. I would call wisteria a medium light plant... you have very low light.

It is a fluorescent white not sure about temp. I keep it on about 8 hrs a day. No sign of distress just 1 plant dead and other nothing. Its about a month old. Any Diy's or cheap lighting?

If you plan to grow wisteria, I would look at getting to around 40-50 watts over your tank. A dual t5ho fixture would work well... this would be $75-120 or so.

There are DIY options out there as well. Search the hardware and build forums for DIY lighting. LEDs are quickly becoming popular, and you could make a very good LED fixture for probably $80 or so if you have any electrical/soldering skills.

fort384 said:
If you plan to grow wisteria, I would look at getting to around 40-50 watts over your tank. A dual t5ho fixture would work well... this would be $75-120 or so.

There are DIY options out there as well. Search the hardware and build forums for DIY lighting. LEDs are quickly becoming popular, and you could make a very good LED fixture for probably $80 or so if you have any electrical/soldering skills.

Thanks!, would that be enough for mushroom corals?

Wisteria and mushroom corals aren't going to go in the same tank... Coral needs SW. Plants need FW.

fort384 said:
Wisteria and mushroom corals aren't going to go in the same tank... Coral needs SW. Plants need FW.

Haha ya I know sorry for lack of info lol I am someday going to turn into reef. Haha

Ok. Whoo. Was worried there for a sec.

Mushroom would probably require much more light and in a different spectrum than plants. You want bulbs that are 6500k to 10000k in color temperature. Corals can use higher color temps and also benefit from actinic bulbs, which are of no use to FW plants.

fort384 said:
Ok. Whoo. Was worried there for a sec.

Mushroom would probably require much more light and in a different spectrum than plants. You want bulbs that are 6500k to 10000k in color temperature. Corals can use higher color temps and also benefit from actinic bulbs, which are of no use to FW plants.

Haha okay I found a 4 bulb t5 ho on foster smith for 115$. It said 78 watts.. Enough?

That is too much unless you plan to inject co2 and dose multiple fertilizers multiple times a week. If you want to avoid that look for a 2 bulb fixture.

fort384 said:
That is too much unless you plan to inject co2 and dose multiple fertilizers multiple times a week. If you want to avoid that look for a 2 bulb fixture.

What if I took two bulbs out( it think two are blue actinic)

That would be fine. Actually running the actinics would be ok. It won't help the plants but it will make the tank look very nice.

fort384 said:
That would be fine. Actually running the actinics would be ok. It won't help the plants but it will make the tank look very nice.

Alright! I'll start saving... I gotta lotta babysitting to do. :/

Back
Top Bottom