Wisteria Out : Primrose very happy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I took the Wisteria out of one tank 5-6 days ago now and it has been phenominal the change in growth from almost all plants but especially the Ludwigia repens (Primrose). It has grown 6 inches in 6 days where it grew 6 inches in the past month. My crypt Lucens is now putting out noticeable growth as well as the Crypt Becketti where they went from very fast growth to almost stagnant when I put the Wisteria in the tank.

Has anyone noticed any similar plant reactions to putting in or taking out a certain plant?

Please keep this as simple observations and not a massive discussion about nutrients, lighting,CO2, plant physiology, and other technical explanations.

glad to hear about the great growth. Some of those plants just suck up all the nutrients. I took my wisteria out and my hydro polysperma (which didnt grow at all since i got it) is not reaching the top of my aqaurium! Congrats

Yup I've noticed this too. I got rid of wisteria because I was so sick of throwing out handfuls every 3 days. Too much work!

I now have stargrass which grows slower than wisteria but not much less. I have some sunset hygro that I keep to a minimum but it grows very quickly after a major stargrass trim.

It's definately a fert related issue, but as long as no complete deficiency arises (ie bottoming out completely on a fert), it really isn't a problem.

I just had to switch from my 65w 50/50 bulb back to my 65w 6700k bulb so we'll see how much faster the plants grow now! (20gallon tank)

Well the latest is that the Primrose is exploding with growth. The Rotala is finally looking greener and growing. The crypts still seem like they are struggling but growing a little better. The most important thing, the BBA is almost gone! The tufts that remain are being picked at by the swords and no sign of new tufts on any of the plants. I kinda like this easy solution to what seemed to be a very difficult dilema with no answer short of $200 for a pressurized CO2 setup.

Well my water sprite has had the same reaction in my other tank with the Wisteria. I still have it in there but cut it way back and now the Sprite is growing faster than ever.

I think there is an experiment in here somewhere with testing EI and dosing amounts when using plants like Wisteria. I don't mean uping the every other day dose but maybe dosing nitrates a little more often or whatever nutrient is disappearing and making the others suffer. This could be part of my BBA problems also if my CO2 is high enough. I assumed that a standard EI dose sequence would be enough but it looking more and more like it might not be enough. This is assuming that my CO2 levels are actually high enough of course.

I may get rid of my wisteria too, its taking off like a weed, consuming a lot of nutrients, and it doesn't grow straight up but in stairsteps, which makes aquascaping difficult.

Back
Top Bottom