wisteria, the nitrate sucker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
Edit- this is my 29 gallon planted. Stocked with 2 angels, 6 neon tetras, 1 bristlenose pleco, 3 cories, 4 otos, 1 bolivian ram. Oh and a few ghost shrimp and 1 Apple snail.
So today I was checking my water parameters like I usually do before my water changed, I added wysteria about 3 days ago and my last water change was about 6 or 7 days ago.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

The last few weeks my nitrates have been about 10-20 ppm.

So my question is, is the wysteria sucking up all the nitrates? And if so, will my other plants get enough nutrition?
I have seachem root tabs, dose seachem flourish 1-2 times a week., seachem excel about 3 x a week .
I just added a school of 6 neon tetras 3 days ago, the same day I added the wisteria. I think I'm going to up the school to 10 to increase the biolaod a little bit. I know it seems as though my tank is fully stocked. But tetras school tightly I don't think adding more would interfere with the angels space too much.
I just want my plants to get enough nutrition. Will increasing the bioload help or should I be dosing something else?
Other plants are crypts, dwarf sag, anubias, java fern, aponogeton . All of them seem to be doing well, the dwarf sag is sending out shoots and has some new plants, the crypts have about 2 new leaves each week, I just want to make sure the wisteria isn't hogging all the good stuff, or should I not be worried at all?

Anyone have any suggestions? Basically I want to know if it would be suggested to dose seachem nitrogen or increase my bioload a bit? I'm about to make a big order on drfosterandsmith so I don't have to pay shipping so I was thinking of ordering the nitrogen.

Well, I wouldn't increase your bioload, as it sounds like you were at your limit before. If you're not getting a testing error, some nitrogen would be useful. Rather than wasting your money on water (since that's what you're paying for mostly with the flourish nitrogen), you can buy a pound of KNO3 for $4 that'll last you a couple years from aquariumfertilizer.com.

You have that many fish in a 29 with 2 angels?
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Edit- i reread and realized most are bottom dwellers.

I did the test 3 times to be sure. The nitrate isn't exactly zero, I would say trace as it is a slight Orange tint but not as dark as the 5ppm indicator. I tested the two 5 gallon betta tanks as well and their nitrate levels are also trace and they were reading 5 ppm before I added a small piece of wisteria to each.

And its a fairly new test kit that I've been using to test paramaters a few times a week.

tarpon said:
You have that many fish in a 29 with 2 angels?
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen
Before you judge, the angels are juveniles and I am going to watch them closely as they grow. I do have a 55 gallon tank in my garage and could easily set it up if I needed to. Although a tank in the garage isn't much fun, who would see it?

I know tetras can become angel food, however these are jumbo neons and seem to be a decent size.
Everything else is bottom feeders. The corys, otos, ram and bristlenose pleco .

I wasn't going to add angels until one of the rams died, then I changed my mind. I was looking to rehome the ram. But he is actually doing ok with the angels.

I know people who breed angels in 20 gallon talls with similar tank mates that I have.

This thread isn't really about my tank stock, but why do you rush in to say that this is a disaster waiting to happen? Maybe to an inexperienced person, but I am not new to aquaria. I know what to watch out for and I am not afraid of water changes. Not to mention that this is going to be a densly planted tank which is obviously more than enough to handle the current biological load.

mfdrookie516 said:
Wisteria, when given what it wants, will grow like crazy. Nitrates are usually the way to tell if it's happy.

I am looking into that aquariumfertilizer website, I've never used dry ferts before so I'm going to have to research it.

I know the wisteria will grow well. I'm more concerned about my other plants getting enough. Do you think I need to dose nitrogen at this point or just watch for a week or so and see how everything does?

A little bit. No need to get so offended. But i realize i was wrong and it wasnt even about your stock anyway. I shouldve sent you a polite pm about it.
I apologize

tarpon said:
A little bit. No need to get so offended. But i realize i was wrong and it wasnt even about your stock anyway. I shouldve sent you a polite pm about it.
I apologize

No worries, I wasn't really offended, just don't want people to think I don't know what I'm doing. I do tend to get defensive when people challenge me but that's just my nature. ;)

I've got a crap ton of wisteria in my 5g and my nitrates are always fairly low - they have been ever since I got the tank heavily planted.. I'm thinking about buying some Flourish Nitrogen to help things settle down. The stuff grows fast; it wouldn't be a surprise if it was a nitrate sponge compared to other plants. o_O

Well I know the nitrogen will help the plants grow faster, but I don't really care about that. I only want to dose it if my other plants really need it. I am going to keep a very close eye on the plants and water parameters to make sure everything keeps growing at a steady rate.

Back
Top Bottom