Wood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmw

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can you cut a piece off any tree and just boil it and put it Incan aquarium?

The wood needs to be dead, live trees have sap in them that can mess with your water chemistry.

What I do is go for a walk by a creek, river, or just in the woods, and find a piece that has been off the tree for some time. You never know how long a tree has been dead and it takes some time for the sap to disappear. There are tons of long dead branches in the woods, and if you have a river close by you can have a piece that's already been in water.

In theory, most any dead North American wood will work. Hard woods are preferred because they decay more slowly. A soft wood will decay quickly in your tank.

If you find a piece of wood out in the water...do you still have to boil it...do you let it dry out first??? What is the process for something like that?:)

You'd have to let it dry out for some time, but you can just boil it or as mumma of two always tells people toss it in the dishwasher without soap, that should kill anything on it and remove a bit of the tanins in it.

I think on rocks you have to test them and find out if they put off any kind of chemical that will cause your PH to raise ?!?!:oops:

I think on rocks you have to test them and find out if they put off any kind of chemical that will cause your PH to raise ?!?!:oops:

Yeah you can use a mild acidic solution to check the rocks. Most people use vinegar and if it fizzes then you can't use it. After that wash and scrub the rock and you should be good to go. Most don't boil them or heat them for fear of an air pocket in the stone which could cause it to explode if heated.

O ok, so just scrub them with distiller water?

I might just add that tannins aren't necessarily bad. They add a little to the TDS of your water, but they also lower your ph a little. If thats your goal, score lol.

Yea but I want to do a dry start so I want it's as clear as I can

Dmw said:
Yea but I want to do a dry start so I want it's as clear as I can

If you are doing a dry start you don't add wood yet. Just plants and rocks.

AFAIK you won't add wood till you're ready to flood the tank. 4-6 weeks probably.

You can add wood, but don't be surprised if you get some weird fungus starting out.

Most dry starts are Iwagumis that's why I'm not used to seeing wood in a dry start.

Back
Top Bottom