Wood won't water log? Identify?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brynunez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know this isn't driftwood but I did purchase it at an aquarium store and it's very light. I added it to my tank, added some plants and placed a heavy rock on it, I attached a zoomed photo to show the rock.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393490191.934685.jpg

It's been almost a month now and the wood still floats without the rock. There are 2 pieces sticking out of the water a bit that I'm assuming are causing this but I wanted to know if anyone knows what type of wood this is and if it's even possible to log? Or any tips.

Here's a wider pic

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393490209.328434.jpg

First of all... Tank looks just plain awesome!! I have no idea about the wood but you could get some stainless steel washers and tie them on with fishing line to keep it weighted down.

First of all... Tank looks just plain awesome!! I have no idea about the wood but you could get some stainless steel washers and tie them on with fishing line to keep it weighted down.

Agreed aboutthe tank looking awesome. With the wood maybe you couldtie the rock underneath the DW and bury the rock so it's out of sight.

My LFS has three nice looking bits of DW that wouldn't waterlog so they are selling it for reptile tanks. It's a shame as i wanted one for a scape.

I know this isn't driftwood but I did purchase it at an aquarium store and it's very light. I added it to my tank, added some plants and placed a heavy rock on it, I attached a zoomed photo to show the rock.

View attachment 224998

It's been almost a month now and the wood still floats without the rock. There are 2 pieces sticking out of the water a bit that I'm assuming are causing this but I wanted to know if anyone knows what type of wood this is and if it's even possible to log? Or any tips.

Here's a wider pic

View attachment 224999

Double post but as mentioned in the other post you could just tie on that rock below and dig a hole for it in the substrate. Other people have used a bit of slate and screws then they bury the slate. I hope you find a solution as that driftwood is such a nice piece.

Wow that tank looks incredible! My uncle lives on the lake so there is all sorts of funky wood pieces that float up to shore. I always grab them for the aquariums however they don't always water log. I strongly suggest buying a couple pieces of slate to keep handy and a drill and just screw the slate to the bottom of the driftwood. Bury the slate and no one will know! I've also heard of people siliconing it to the bottom of the tank. But that requires draining it, and I'm not sure how well that would actually work.

Slate and stainless steel screws are the best way. Slate is easy to drill through, just make sure you get slate, ceramic is almost impossible to drill through. Stainless still is tank safe and will not rust. I have tried silicone and river stone on the bottom of the wood but it never stays. The silicone comes off when the wood soaks up water.

Good advice above and great looking tank.

Some wood will never sink, some takes years, other pieces may sink immediately.

Back
Top Bottom