Work in progress (long) , updated 09/10/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkilling1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wanted to let everyone see what i have been upto with my tanks. I have been into aquatics for over 3 years. It all started when my wife brought home 2 gold fish in a 2 1/2 gal hex. soon after they went into a 10 gal because I couldn't stand seeing them in that little tank. She then got a 28 gal bowfront from her sister for free and we put those gold fish in that tank. The Wife decided to add some more goldfish to the tank from walmart one day and introduced Ick into the tank aswell. After all the fish had died, I found this site. I learned a lot since then.

The Wife no longer wanted anything to do with fish so the tank became mine. :D

the 28 gal bowfront had 15 watts of t-8, so I started with some Anacharis. That kept me happy for some time, but looking at all of those great looking tanks started to get to me. I was chomping at the bit to buy a bigger tank with more lighting to really jump into the planted realm. so i finally talked the wife into letting me buy a 75 gal tank with stand. I also talked the petsmart manager into upgrading the light to a two bulb t-10 instead of the single bulb that was standard. So now I am at 1 wpg not to shabby for a newcomer. Started off with some more anacharis and then added some java moss, java ferns, and some lace java ferns. That did it for awhile. You know how it goes, the more you read the more you want to spend. :lol:

I was reading someones post about ODNO lighting and thought that would be a cheaper way of getting some more light out of my setup. so I went ahead and did that. I added another ballast to my two T-10 light so I have them running at 2 x ODNO approx 140 watts. that puts me in the 2 wpg ballpark. no CO2 yet

now onto the 28 gal. reading LWB post with the walmart CF bulbs on his 10 gal tank, I thought that would be a great way to save some money and get a fairly decent amount of light into my 28 gal tank. so i ordered a 24" strip and bought two 25 watt CF 6500 K bulbs. Combine those bulbs with the original t-8 and that puts the 28 gal at approx 2.5 WPG.

now comes all the CO2 fun. of coarse now that I have the lighting I need the CO2. I knew what I needed to do after reading post after post about CO2, but pressurized is out of the question atm due to christmas being so close. I read a post about the best method of CO2 defussion in which Tom Barr suggested using a PH and a viewtainer and thats what I did. I went to petsmart and picked up some PH's and made some reactors, not quite what Tom had made, but simular. one CO2 bottle for the 28 gal and 2 for the 75 gal. the levels where 30 PPM CO2 in the 28 gal and 25 PPM in the 75 gal. not to bad if you ask me. I got pearling in the 28 gal right away put not in the 75 gal. I was peeved. I WANT PEARLING. LOL. I rushed to homedepot and picked up a shoplight (LOL) and two t-8's at 6700K (approx 3 wpg) and it sits perfect behind my duel strip. Now I have pearling!!!!
The CO2 has remained constant for over a week. I am pretty happy about that. The plants are growing like crazy. I owe many thanks to everyone who posts in the planted section of this site and that is why I am posting this. I mostly troll. IE I have learned a lot from everyone. Again Thanks, Randy.

PS here are some recent pics (work in progress)
fish2.jpg

fish1.jpg

current plants:

Egeria densa
asian ambulia
Bacopa caroliniana
ludwigia repens
Bacopa monnieri
ROTALA rotundifolia
Microsorum pteropus
Vesicularia dubyana
Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv'
Hygrophila difformis
Heteranthera zosterifolia
CRYPTOCORYNE wendtii
Najas guadalupensis
Aponogeton crispus
Vallisneria americana

PSS. Special thanks to evercl92, shawnryan1977, and Hara for the plants.

Very nice RK.......my favorite is the 28G........what kind of driftwood is that?

GlitcH, the center peice is fake.

thank you guys for the comments. I can't wait for it to fill in. all I need is some more color.

BTW, the greg watson ferts are on their way.

Nice tanks. My favorite is the Rainbow tank. It's too nice for that background! :)

czcz said:
Nice tanks. My favorite is the Rainbow tank. It's too nice for that background! :)

Thanks, and i hear ya. I converted the 28 gal over to black and now i have to do the same to the 75. it's just a lot more work. :(

rescaped the 75 gal today. I even changed the background CZCZ. :lol:

The 28 gal was overgrown in just 10 days. So I moved a lot of plants over from the 28. I removed the big piece of driftwood, because it shadowed like half the tank. I believe it's starting to look like a planted tank now. I have some plants in the mail that should be here tomorrow. sunset hygro, compacta swords, and anabus nana. That should fill it in pretty good.

fish3.jpg

fish4.jpg

got the new plants in. Any comments on placement? (using reefrunner69's tricks/tips on better photos. seems to help, huh?)

fish5.jpg

looks awesome. i really like the placement of the new plants and the picture is much better. i always like pictures under tank lights rather than the flash. cant wait to see some updated pics once it starts to filll in. have u thought about a foreground plant? clover maybe?

the problem with foregound plants is most of them need a good substrate. I only have PFS. I am still researching this and hope to find something that will suffice. (Hopefully the glosso i have growing in the 28 gal will be alright will root tabs every so often)

i think glosso can pull the nutrients out of the water column. lots of people successfully grow glosso in worse substrates than PFS. eco is my personal favourite but i have heard nothing but good about the ADA aquasoil. i want to try that next.

Great looking tanks. I like the new placement of the driftwood in the big tank. You are right about the information on this site. I am going to be converting 1 of my 30 Gal tanks over to planted in the near future and am glad that I found this site. Hopefully mine turns out as nice as yours.

drobertson said:
Great looking tanks. I like the new placement of the driftwood in the big tank. You are right about the information on this site. I am going to be converting 1 of my 30 Gal tanks over to planted in the near future and am glad that I found this site. Hopefully mine turns out as nice as yours.

Thanks, I really appreciate the comments.

Most of my knowledge, let alone most of my plants, came from members of this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom