worth upgrading to t5no from t8?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hope this is an easy question. Would it be worth upgrading my t8 fixtures to a t5no(1 or 2 bulb) if I'm only growing amazon swords and wisteria? I have a 50gallon long that currently has two 18"t8 fixtures. Or would it make more sense to upgrade to t5ho if Im upgrading in the first place?

Your Lighting Question

Hope this is an easy question. Would it be worth upgrading my t8 fixtures to a t5no(1 or 2 bulb) if I'm only growing amazon swords and wisteria? I have a 50gallon long that currently has two 18"t8 fixtures. Or would it make more sense to upgrade to t5ho if Im upgrading in the first place?

Hello sob...

These plants require medium light, so check your watts per gallon. If you have around 75 watts total or about 1.5 watts of light per gallon of tank volume, then IMO you don't need to change anything.

Your T8s will give you less intense light, but shine it over a larger area. The T5 provides more intense light than the T8, but distributes it over a narrower area.

I keep swords under a single 6500 K, T8, 32 watt bulb and they grow slowly, but they're healthy. The Water wisteria works best for me if I float it close to the light, so I get away with lower light.

The T5 will likely require a strip that accomodates two bulbs and obviously will cost more than the single bulb strip.

Just a thought from a nonexpert.

B

I think the T5s look amazing and you can do so much more with them, so I would say go for it if you can afford it.

Heres a picture of the difference between a regular, stock light (the light that comes with most aquarium kits) and a regular T5. The T5 is on the left, the T8 is on the right...

img_1729401_0_576ad569a3311feb43fba41d52fd8134.jpg

Probably. My 46 gallon tank is about 18" deep and my regular T5 works just fine.

I have the solarmax t5no's over my 150g with a depth of @ 27" I'd say on this set up they give me low light but they came with the deal I got on CL may upgrade after tax time

Attachments

• image-57078594.jpg
    image-57078594.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom