Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I like these plants:

Amazon sword,anacharis,cambomba,syperus,cryptocoryne,dwar f hair grass,hygrophila, hygrophila angustifolia,horn wort,micro sword,ludwigia peruensis,money wort,oriental sword,watersprite,wisteria,spiralis

Old 04-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

A pendant light from your ceiling would look nice also

Old 04-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #13

Saw this thread today, nice read.. and cheap.. would be easy to make it look nice too. Cheap LED solution???
Old 04-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can get very inexpensive high output lights from aquatraders that'll let you grow just about anything. I use a 2 bulb 24" T5 HO light on my 20 high and it's great. Cost me $40 with the bulbs. Check the sizes out. A 2, 3 or 4 bulb T5 HO fixture with all the bulbs will cost you less than $100 even if you get a fixture with a built in timer and LED moonlights. Fishneedit is another online dealer with great prices for planted tank lights. These aren't the top of the line fixtures but lots of people grow plants and corals with these fixtures. Check on YouTube for video reviews.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I have figured out what I'm going to do... I'm going to purchase a glass top for the pentagon and then purchase this Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting fixture! Would that suffice? Your thoughts?? Suggestions? Is my tank too tall? Would I need more light?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

That should be plenty of light to grow lots of different kinds of plants. Just keep in mind that plants need more than just light to grow without also growing lots of algae. If you add a lot of light you'll want to add your plants right away to use that light and your tanks nutrients, ie soil and water, instead of growing algae with it. You may find that you'll need to do more frequent water changes (you may already do that) or add co2 to keep algae under control. Depending on your plans choices and the type of gravel you have you might want a few root tabs or liquid ferts. It's a lot like growing vegetables. With a little TLC you get great returns.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com