Would this be too much light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UntimelyLord

Aquarium Advice Freak
The light to my 30 gallon high needs replacing, and I was thinking about getting something that is at least better than my current single T5. I've been growing Java fern and anubias for a couple years under that light, but they seem to just survive and grow very very slowly. I'm not looking to do a high tech set up, I'd just like my plants to be happier and maybe be able to grow a few crypts or something in the medium-low light range. So I know I don't want to overdo it on the light and end up needing a CO2 system and everything. I don't mind dosing liquid CO2 though.
So the light I've been looking at is "Beamswork DA 6500K 0.50W Series LED Pent Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant". I'd get the 24 inch version which is sixty 6500K 0.5watt LEDs, 3100 lumens for $40 USD (about the same it would cost me to get a T5 High Output setup and bulb). The company does not list par but one of the reviewers estimates 35-40 par at 22 inches. My tank is 24 inches tall and the clips that hold the light to the tank look like they'd add an extra 2 inches. So my question is would this be too much light for what I'm looking for? Since this is a cheap LED the lighting strength is not adjustable. The cheapest LED I could find with adjustable lighting for my tank runs about $90 USD and I'm not in a place to pay that much right now. Would I be better off with a single HO T5?

Edit: I currently have only gravel substrate and dose API Leaf Zone weekly

Get some liquid co2 and stick with the T5. No need to jump just yet if you are only interested in those plants. You might see a vast improvement.

Get reflector for the T5 if you want a touch more light.

Back
Top Bottom