Would this light work for my 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would get either 2 of the 3rd bulb down on the right column (10w bulb) or 2 of the 15w bulbs, 4th down on the left. I had those in my 10g hood and bought them at Walmart. (the fluorescent bright bulbs). If you have a Walmart nearby, I'd check there first so you don't have to pay shipping. They are about the same price, a 2 pack for about $8 something. The package is blue, same brand, and on the back it says the Kelvin rating is 6500 which is good for plants. It also says Daylight on the front.

They will fit an incandecent hood. If you want a high light tank, I'd get the 20 watt bulbs. The watts per gallon rule breaks down for smaller tanks, but I think 40 watts over the tank will qualify it as high light. You'll need some type of CO2 injection with that much light or you'll have tons of algae.

On that site, those buulbs are 2700k. Not sure how well they will do for plants. A couple of people got them and found out they were not the 6700k bulbs. The 2220 bulb is a 2700k 20W bulb, but the bulbs they had at walmart were the same brand, but 2220S.

thanks for the link. Will that like be enough to make my tank a high light? And should i buy 2 of em? thanks

Yes, get 2 of them. Also, it will give you about medium light, and won't need CO2. I have a tank with 25W bulbs, and it needs CO2. But the 20W bulbs doesn't. My tank with 20W bulbs is algae free, and it has no CO2.

ok and what kind of plants can i put in it? Do you have a pic of ur tank w/ the 20w, just so i can get an idea of what it looks like.

You will have quite a few plants to choose from. I don't have much in mine because it's a breeder tank, but here's the pic. I have Wisteria and R. rotundafolia in the tank, as well as E. Tiandra for my ground cover. Here's the pic.

breederplt5.jpg

You be able to grow crypts, anubias, R. rotundafolia, water sprite, L. repens, hygro, and just about any plant that's not considered very high light.

So, what I would do is look for plants that are low and medium light, and if you see a high light plant you like and want to try, go for it. It might work and it might not. Some will and some won't. Wouldn't know til you try. But the 20W bulbs are pretty good bulbs.

Do you have CO2? Were you planning on high light?

not meaning to steal the thread but on my hood it says only 15 watt maxiumum for each light is it ok if i put in a 25 watt compact flourescent in each side? its an incandescent hood

Good bulbs, but poor lighting. Spiral bulbs have more restrike problems than the U-shaped bulbs. I have 2 20W CF bulbs that are U-shaped, and it's equiv. is only about 1.5w/g, or a tad more. So the spirals will be even less than that.

Back
Top Bottom