Wow, why didn't anyone warn me....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omegasupreme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
...about putting duckweed in the tank. What a mess, just spent close to an hour trying to take it all out. Ugh, are there any other low maintenance plants that look nice on the top of the tank? Thanks in advance. :D

Good luck getting rid of it. It can be quite difficult to scope every bit of it.

At one point a year or so ago, I was giving a full sandwich bag of it to a friend each week for his turtle to eat but for some reason and I still have no clue why, it just all of a sudden all died & disappeared?

Does duckweed grow so dense that it'll block out the light to the base plants? I could use some floating stuff as fry cover. Anyone in (eastern) canada want to mail me some? :)

Jman17H said:
Good luck getting rid of it. It can be quite difficult to scope every bit of it.

At one point a year or so ago, I was giving a full sandwich bag of it to a friend each week for his turtle to eat but for some reason and I still have no clue why, it just all of a sudden all died & disappeared?

Decreased nitrates.....

Duckweed is a horrible plant, unless it is all you want... I can't get rid of it, no matter how much I scoop out every week. I would never put it in a tank intentionally... It will choke the light out of your aquarium if you let it get out of hand (which is not hard to do)

i had it until recently and loved the alook of it, but, yeah it stole all my nitrates and all my light.

i didn't find it difficult to remove, though. just get out every bit of green floating on the surface... not hard, just a little boring.

From another post I just made, but also relevant here...

Here it is taking over a lake:

Alga17.gif

Morele2a.jpg

Why didn't anyone warn you?!?!?! Its called duckWEED for a reason. :wink:

Mine went away when I got angels. Maybe coincidence, but I think they ate it.

It does grow like mad, but I like that weedy look and just scoop it out when it gets too much. My "Mystery"/brig snails actually eat it, and that's the only live plant they munch on.

Amazon Frogbit is much tidier, larger-leaved, and easy to grow. I'd send you a wad of it, but it has duckweed mixed in :)

I've been in a fierce battle with my duckweed for almost a year now.

At times it seems I am winning the battle and once I thought I had gotten rid of it for good but alas, it truly is evil, it knows when to strike and is a very cunning adversary.

Until duckweed, I didn't know a plant could make me cry.

Seriously though, I loathe the stuff........I have eradicated it from my 20G but the 92G has to many nooks and crannys to ever be sure I've gotten it all.
Maybe someday but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

For a while, I was pitching about a ziplock back full (stuffed tight) out every two weeks from my 55G tank. Since I've been doing the CO2 and fert thing for the other plants, I haven't had much duckweed at all - not enough worth scooping up, anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom