Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Wy Renegades 30gal Riparium

As you may know if you've been following the thread on my current bog tank (linked in my signature), I've started working on a bigger version. I figured it ought to have its own thread, so decided to go ahead and get it started. This one will show the build from the very beginning.

We actually started back in January of last year on this project, but its been kind of a slow build for a variety of reasons. My goals on this one were to use a bigger aquarium so I had more water and more room for critters, and to actually get a waterproof wall between the water and the bog area.

We started out by building a wall using eggcrate, expanding foam and river rock. We cut the eggcrate to fit inside the tank, then built the actual structure using foam and river rock in an aluminum foil covered cardboard box. Unfortunately once we completed the wall and went to put it into the tank, it would fit, because of the rim. The only solution? Remove the plastic rim from the tank. We did some research and found how to do this online ~ boy was it a pain. But, we were successful.

Once we got the rim off, we were able to insert the rock wall and silicon it into place using aquarium safe silicon.

We then reattached the plastic rim.

After the silicon was dry, we began wet testing to insure that the bog area would stay dry. We had to drain, dry and reapply silicon a number of times on this part, and it took several months to get this accomplished.

Once we had the wall water-tight, we used two part epoxy and aquarium sand and covered the foam and silicon joints on the wall.

We finished about the time school was ending for the year, so I asked a buddy of mine who drills tanks if he could drill a couple holes for me so I could make a cutout for the filter. He said he could, but unfortunately it took him all summer to get the job done.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Got the two holes drilled and picked up the tank at the end of the summer. I was going to use my drimmel and a tile bit to cut out the glass between the holes, but chickened out and took it to a glass ship instead. Unfortunately, they tried to cut the glass and break it out and that didn't work out so well. I got the hole I wanted;

But unfortunately the glass cracked around it when they were breaking it out.

Wish now I hadn't chickened out and had just cut it myself. Oh well, at least both cracks are above the water-line, so it will still work, it just looks broken.

Picture of the rock wall through the hole;

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 11-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Last weekend I dug out the equipment I had for the tank, a Aquaclear20 and a Whisper 20ii. Unfortunately, the Whisper was too big, so I had to reduce down to a 10ii. I ordered a 36" dual strip light and a single strip light, two plant bulbs and a UVB 5.0 bulb, as well as a Aquaclear50 because a student had indicated that she might be bringing in a baby common snapper to house for awhile.

Figured if a snapper was coming I better get the tank cycling so it had a home waiting for it, so I went ahead and started setting it up.

I started out by building a waterfall area around the two filters, and then layered in my substate.

For substrate, I used some aragonite sand, and then layered some gravel on top of that. The bog will contain a mixture of peat moss and sand.

I then started filling the tank, using a pan to prevent the added water from disrupting the substrate.

Here it is all filled up and running, have to leave it go over the weekend to clear up and start cycling. To help with the cycle, I used some of the rinse water from cleaning out the Aquaclear10 that is running the current bog, and added some ammonia.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Epic Fail!

Well, unfortunately, all the moving around over the summer must have loosened up something. While it ran over the weekend, water was able to leak through the retaining wall. Looks like I'll have to tear it down, locate the leak, and seal it up again.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Very cool so far. Unfortunate about the leak!

Your posts are always full of pics, so I'm excited to keep up on this!
Old 11-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steez View Post
Very cool so far. Unfortunate about the leak!

Your posts are always full of pics, so I'm excited to keep up on this!
Well thanks for following along. Will see what I can do one keeping up with the pictures on this. As for the leak, it'll fix, just a matter of finding it.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Definitely following!
I'm going to start a.. sort of similar build with a ten gallon for fire belly toads.
Do you have any thoughts on what you're going to stock it with?
Old 11-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgie View Post
Definitely following!
I'm going to start a.. sort of similar build with a ten gallon for fire belly toads.
Do you have any thoughts on what you're going to stock it with?
Ah, excellent! Be sure and keep me posted when you start the actual build so that I can follow along.

Not totally; kicking around several different concepts at this time. If I can get the dividing wall water tight, then I will attempt once again to maintain some assorted carnivorous plants within the bog. That would likely tempt me to research and inport aquatic plants and critters from the area where the carnivorous plants are found (like in the SE U.S.)

On the other hand, if a common snapping turtle were to show up (which appears to be unlikely at this point), then I would more likely go with something pretty similar to the existing bog, but with the addition of some taller plant species.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Will do! I definitely miss having amphibians, my last one was an ACF that I absolutely adored. She was a monster though haha. Gonna go for two FBTs and maybe a newt.
Carnivorous plants would be pretty awesome! I used to have a pitcher plant, but it was super difficult for me to keep alive so now I just stick to succulents.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgie View Post
Will do! I definitely miss having amphibians, my last one was an ACF that I absolutely adored. She was a monster though haha. Gonna go for two FBTs and maybe a newt.
Carnivorous plants would be pretty awesome! I used to have a pitcher plant, but it was super difficult for me to keep alive so now I just stick to succulents.
ACF = ? (sorry can't keep up on the acronymes). FBTs = Fire Bellied Toads I assume. A newt would be cool as well.

I have some of the same issues with the carnivorous plants, best luck I had was actually by keeping them inside a empty 55 gallon aquarium with the lid sealed and sitting in a container of water - seemed to work out pretty well. I'm convinced that it can be done in a aquarium like this, just have to figure out all the details. For instance, I might have to go with a full glass top in order to help keep humidity levels up. Ah well, something else to research a bit . Succulents are nice ~ and very forgiving.

Tags
30 gallon, riparium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com