Yellow hairy caterpillar???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beachgrove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks! Got a small query, I have noticed a small yellow hairy caterpillar in my aquarium this is the second one i have noticed. Think they have came with plants any ideas of what they would be and what I should do??

Whoa what is it? It's alive? I would remove it to identify it easier. More pics? Im so intrigued

Removed the first and couldn't find out nothing about it. It's a very strange little creature a bit like a maggot with spiked hair. Thought about keeping it to find out what it transformed into.

Beachgrove said:
Removed the first and couldn't find out nothing about it. It's a very strange little creature a bit like a maggot with spiked hair. Thought about keeping it to find out what it transformed into.

I am looking through my books to find what it is.

Just under an inch. I looked up amphibious caterpillars and seem to have found articles but no pictures. I'm going to take it out and kill it as the plants came from abroad.

If I need some creature identified I usually take it to the vet down the street. They do exotics and have a bug and spider guy on staff. Very cool.

If I were you, I would get one of those breeding traps (or whatever they called), place it on top of the plant, and wait to see what happens.

Ohh I didn't realize it is not native! Please be cautious to not set it free ;) but I am also curious to know what it is. The breeder trap idea is brilliant! Do you have a museum or university nearby? I'm sure they would be very happy to identify it for you, and maybe take it for their collections ;)

P1240629.jpg

Yes or no?

Back
Top Bottom