(Yet another) lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 37 gallon marine tank I will convert to a freshwater tank once I upgrade my marine tank.

I would like to keep Amazon swordplants and other plants with similar lighting requirements in there. But the tank is 22" tall. Will a 65W PC generate enough light, or do I need a double light? I would like to save some $$$ if I one light is enough.

You'll want two. swords really prefer the stronger light. Look at the AHsupply.com kits, they aren't that expensive. Coralife also sells a 65watt freshwater PC fixture, which hellolights.com has a good price on.
Of course at that light level, you'd want some CO2. DIY is possible on that size of tank, but if the idea of juggling 2-3 DIY juice bottles isn't appealing, then a pressurized system would work too.

Also, since you mention swordplants...they are heavy root feeders. A plant substrate should be used...flourite, eco-complete...and even with those, some root tabs won't be a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom